1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

My new (used) JD GS30!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scapegoat, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

So I picked this up for $800 from a doctor who had his "staff" use it to mow his property. I took it over to my JD dealer and had them work it over, they greased and adjusted everything and slapped on a new carb. Runs great and is in really nice condition. It has the 13hp Kohler engine.

I just mowed my back yard with it. Leaves a nice clean cut. Thing seems to be as solid as they come. I've heard mention it's built like a tank, and that definitely seems to be true. Great size for smaller residential (.25 acre). I'm glad I didn't buy a 48".

I'm definitely going to get the mulch kit though and try that out.

Anyway, impressed so far. Here's a pic. Yeah, I know, I need to weed around my fruit trees. :p

[​IMG]

2. lawnchamp

lawnchamp LawnSite Member

My JDGS30 is a workhorse. Bought it used (one year old) last year. Have had a few repairs though. My operator presence switch acted up (engine would start cutting out) but I was able to troubleshoot and repair it myself. My guy that usually operates it has hit a tree root and broke the toothed belt that drives the blades. He also hit a stump and rounded off the spindle shaft. My JD dealer pressed in a new shaft. He's fast with this mower, but a little rough on it.

I have a mulch kit. It has a plastic insert that you have to mount under the deck. The insert provides the baffling needed to stop the discharge. You will have to drill 2 or 3 holes in the deck to mount the insert. I wasn't crazy about drilling holes in my deck. The mulch kit works all right, I guess. I'm just not crazy about the plastic insert.

3. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I bought a used GS30 last year (4 yrs old). It was originally purchased by an older women who just could not pull that cord any more. She had it maintained twice a year. Glad it always starts on the first pull because pulling that cord a half dozen times would do me in!

It gives a great cut (better than my 737) and has more power than you would ever need. Just wish it was elect start!

It cost me $1,800 but had very few hrs on it and the dealer had put it in top running condition for sale. The women bought a new elect. start mower so they sold the old one for her.

4. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

those palm trees are a teasing me... i'm already missin bahamas (left wed.) just looking @ those beautiful fruit trees....

wow that mower is awesome looking being as you bought it for $800.... what year is it, was the doc office lawn the only use its seen?

5. Scapegoat

Yeah, I have 3 citrus trees (lemon, lime and tangelo) and 1 fruit tree (peach). The peach is a variety developed to grow in southern Florida.

The guy told me the mower was a 1999. I thought it was newer being in such good shape. All original paint and not even any surface rust. It was clearly well taken care of and/or not used very much.

Dealer went over the whole thing with a fine tooth comb and said it's in great condition, just needed the carb cleaned, but I opted just to have them stick a new one on.

6. Scapegoat

I just ordered the mulch kit from JD. Can't wait to try it out. But really, it does a nice job with just the side discharge.

I've used the mower for about 2 weeks now and no complaints. Starts on the first or second pull every time and leaves a clean cut. Best $800 I've spent in some time. :cool2:

7. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I have the same mower with the plastic mulch kit insert. It rocks. Leaves the best cut out of all of my mowers. I use it on my own personal lawn instead of the bigger mowers. I'm probably going to be looking for another one when I get the second crew going next spring.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've got the same unit, bought it in feb. used, mulch kit, bagger and 4 sets of blades for 1500, bought just for gated yards, use it in my own gated yard more than any, I love it with the mulch kit for around pools.

Attached Files:

• gs30.bmp
      File size:
      600.1 KB
      Views:
  9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew i was forgetting something, it also came with a brand new jungle jim sulky

10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a gs30 five years ago and for various reasons it hasn't been used much. But I consider it one of the best machines I have ever owned. If I need to cut a lawn that is out of control I don't even consider the Walkers, I just load up the jd and rip away. Last week I cut two subdivision common areas that were seriously tall and the gs 30 just did an awesome job. It is a machine that owes me nothing but saves my rear every time I need it.