Lawn Care Forum banner

My New Website

6K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  Darryl G 
#1 ·
I finially finished my new web site Sunday night. I'm hoping this will bring in some more work. Maybe some of you guys would be kind enough to check it out and tell me what you think, and feel free to be honest. Keep in mind that this is a work in progress (needs photos and there's probably a couple typos). I'm not about to put it on my business cards yet...you'll see why!:D

#2 ·
Please tell me this is a hoax. I got one hell of a laugh from it.

"Business hours are by appointment only. We take a lot of vacations, are often out all night partying, are sometimes detained by authorities, or too drunk to stand, so please call first. If our phone service has been disconneted, please try again in a week or two." ROFLMAO

"Our motto is half-*** at half price...if you want it done right, call someone else!" Once again, you're killing me.

#4 ·
check it out and tell me what you think, and feel free to be honest.
Ok. I will. ;-)

First thing, pop-up ads are BAD! Annoying as heck. Find another place to host this site without pop-up ads.

URL is too long. When you get the $, get your own domain. They aren't all THAT expensive. About $35 to get the domain name and I know people who can host the site for you on a reliable server for about $10 a month.

The main page needs some text and a picture. It is very plain.

Oh! It gets worse!!! Pop-ups continue every time you click on one of the hyperlinks. As a potential customer, I am going to leave this site as quick as possible if this continues....

periodic butchering of all shrubs and hedges
What the heck is that??? I don't know if I'd want my hedges "butchered". That doesn't sound good.

Ok, I get it. The butchering thing was humor. Kinda like the entire text in the "business hours" section.

I'd get rid of all humor like this. It comes across wrong and chances are a client isn't going to be clicking on every link to figure out you're just kidding. They'll click on one link and think, "What the heck???" and leave. It just isn't professional.

Some of the humor on the site is maybe ok. The phrase about dyeing the lawns, "green, brown, pink or yellow" is probably not very easily misunderstood. Although, personally, I'd get rid of that too. But most of the other humor on the site might not be understood as being humor and should go.

You're advertising for "dog crap removal"?? Do you guys seriously offer this service? Eek!

Our motto is half-*** at half price
Again, this is easily misunderstood and even if it is understood I am not sure I'd hire a company that had stuff like this on a web site. It just doesn't give me a feeling of professionalism.

Is the scalping the lawn and dyeing it 3 times per year really something you do? If not, that should be removed too. Again, I can't tell whether you're serious or not with all this stuff.

Honest overall opinion; Site looks pretty decent aesthetically (except for the lack of any text or pictures on the main page). But most of the text needs to be redone. And obviously some pictures or graphics need to be introduced throughout the web site.

As it is now, the site is little more than a gimmick and if it's goal is to actually attract new business, I am not sure it would accomplish that goal very well.

#10 ·
I just hope that a potential customer stumbles across your website by mistake......they might not laugh so much. It was good humor. I was laughing the moment I saw your name...."Landcare & Lawnscalping". There was a site that somebody posted on a thread that was from Corpus Christi, if I remember correctly. It was not quite this sarcastic, but his was in all honesty....it was a riot.

MATT

#14 ·
Nebraska - Actually, the hunt was done mostly with 6 ft javelin spears. The guys are shown holding their 12 thrusting spears, used mostly for self protection. Skarphederson (Skarp) ,the guy third from left shown standing with dark shirt on made the first javelin hit and later another that slowed the animal enough for the others to finish it off (with their thrusting spears). I wasn't involved. It was a ritual hunt for their heathen kindred. Skarp is a friend of mine and works as a tree man in the Dayton Ohio area. I used to work for him. They're hunting a wild boar this year. Apparently they caused quite a stir at the hotel with all those spears, shortly after Sept. 11 last fall! The ranch hands at the ranch where the hunt took place were betting even money that one of them would be killed! The only injuries were to the beast.

Expert - Sounds great. I'll save a wheel chair for ya, crawlin' is too tough on the knees!

#19 ·
I just updated the site with some better pictures, including some of the family and a couple of rewrites. My wife would flip if she saw the distorted picture of her!!!! She's really a lot better looking than that! The truck belongs to an acquaintance of mine.

Darryl

#21 ·
unreal...............loved it...:)

lmao

:blob4: :blob3: :blob1:

someone above needs to lighten up and take a chill pill...nothing wrong with a little fun, i mean dont you guys work hard enough anyway..why not have a little fun with it right?

need a pic of a tow truck towing your truck towing your rig........will make next appointment after short conference with repo man.....

Ken

#22 ·
Darryl, I got a good chuckle from it. I wouldn't worry about others inability to detect satire.

#26 ·
Art - Actually the truck is for sale. The owner tried to sell it to me for $600 with 30 residential plow accounts (without contracts). The thing actually runs and plows pretty well. The dent in the front is from before he fixed the brakes!

Danzig - The truck is shown parked outside the neighborhood bar. The doublewide is a couple of stumbles west of there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.