• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

My Plan for the Future

smassengill

LawnSite Member
I am 17 now and want to go to college then come back and start my business. Right now I take care of around 10 properties over the summer and also offer snow services for homeowners. Attached is what my dreams consist of. I realize that there is a lot of money involved but I like to dream big! :dancing:

Attachments

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
Another thing, only 5 tshirts and two hats? With all those trucks you are gonna need at least 5 or 6 shirts per guy, plus you will want to hand them out to friends and family. How bout lettering on all those trucks? You will want to get all those trucks lettered. You could save some money on the timberland boots you are buying. Instead of buying a $110 pair, you must already have a pair, you could put that money towards more shirts. I would assume you are gonna borrow the 635k to get started, why not just go for an even million so its a little easier. Why would you give your manager a truck to drive home. Let him take an f250 if you are gonna give him a truck. An f150 is useless, you can't really plow with it or tow a trailer. You could if you wanted to be a knucklehead but for the most part they are useless to work with.

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
Just didn't see the need for the extra power and money...any advantages you see?
They will hold more weight and tow more, and if you bag grass you can dump it out. Also mulch and loam if you are gonna do that stuff. If you are gonna have at least 8 guys working, you dont want them standing around waiting for material or shoveling it out of the truck. Buy a used dump to start out with, its cheaper than buying a new f250 and will do more, but for the amount of money you are gonna spend you might as well just buy a new one.

OP
smassengill

smassengill

LawnSite Member
Another thing, only 5 tshirts and two hats? With all those trucks you are gonna need at least 5 or 6 shirts per guy, plus you will want to hand them out to friends and family. How bout lettering on all those trucks? You will want to get all those trucks lettered. You could save some money on the timberland boots you are buying. Instead of buying a $110 pair, you must already have a pair, you could put that money towards more shirts. I would assume you are gonna borrow the 635k to get started, why not just go for an even million so its a little easier. Why would you give your manager a truck to drive home. Let him take an f250 if you are gonna give him a truck. An f150 is useless, you can't really plow with it or tow a trailer. You could if you wanted to be a knucklehead but for the most part they are useless to work with.
The shirts/hats were for each employee. I guess I would want to give just about everyone I see a shirt and a hat haha. I would most definitely letter every truck and trailer I have. I would even want to put stickers and stuff with my logo on my equipment but it was hard for me to include that on the sheet because I had no way of estimating how much someone was going to charge me for lettering.

OP
smassengill

smassengill

LawnSite Member
They will hold more weight and tow more, and if you bag grass you can dump it out. Also mulch and loam if you are gonna do that stuff. If you are gonna have at least 8 guys working, you dont want them standing around waiting for material or shoveling it out of the truck. Buy a used dump to start out with, its cheaper than buying a new f250 and will do more, but for the amount of money you are gonna spend you might as well just buy a new one.
I figured I would use the dump truck for all the material towing I would need but now that you mention it there is no downside to having another dump around. F350 with dump bed for mowing and another F350 with service body for irrigation and lighting?

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
around 300 a truck depending. A little more for the big one. Also depends if you want paint or vinyl. I have vinyl on my trucks and I think its around 300 each with two doors and a truck number.

OP
smassengill

smassengill

LawnSite Member
around 300 a truck depending. A little more for the big one. Also depends if you want paint or vinyl. I have vinyl on my trucks and I think its around 300 each with two doors and a truck number.
That's less than I expected. I was I thinking atleast $500 but again I've never had anything lettered. I've always used magnets. I was looking at the F350 vs F250 and they're pretty much the same price I would just have to buy the dump bed.

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
only real advantage an f350 has is it can hold more weight. Something most guys want when your business involves hauling a lot of heavy material around. Same drivetrain so no more power, not that much more money either