1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

My recent bid...what do you think..

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Stevegotcrabgrass, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Stevegotcrabgrass

Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member

Bid on a Large spring clean up. The area is just under 2 acres. On the two acres sits a house of approximately 2k sq/ft and a detached 2 car garage. The property backs up to water. There was a ton of leaves from neglect. The property was over grown...They wanted leaves REMOVED. They also had about 1k sq/ft ivy they wanted removed. My Costs are as follows:
    Labor: 600
    Bobcat: 300 (includes dumping of the ivy)
    Leaf removal 250
    Fuel 50
    Total cost $1200. There would be my 4 guys (labor above) Bobcat operator and I sub my leaf collection (I do not have a leaf vac and this job is too big to bag or tarp and truck)

So cost is $1200. Would take a full day to complete. What would you charge? You know my cost. Obviously this is not taking into account insurance, taxes etc. I am giving you my DIRECT VARIABLE cost. Not fixed cost which would be incurred if I take this job or not.

What would you charge...it is A LOT of work...

2. Stevegotcrabgrass

Forgot to mention my bid was $2400. It is below the margin I like to operate at normally but the size of the job warranted a lower gross margin percentage.

3. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I think I would have got a true 100% markup by having my overhead included but it really would depend on if the customer would be willing to pay that much. Some people want the hanging gardens for just a couple bucks and done last week.

4. Stevegotcrabgrass

This was a residential job. I did NOT give them a break out of my expenses. I just quoted them a number. Since material is not being PUT DOWN, I gave a price for the amount of work, a bobcat and disposal. One lump sum..