1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

My Shindawa is bogging down?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bronco, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Bronco

Bronco LawnSite Member

How can you correct a bogging down string trimmer. Is it the filter? Something in the line? With the choke off I give it gas and it stops. Any advice? I need to work tomorrow.

Thanks

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Take off the muffler, there's a good chance the exhaust port is clogged with carbon. Use a pencil, or something else with a soft point to chip the blockage away. If that is indeed the problem, the power will be restored immediately.

Where in NOVA are you?

3. Bronco

Bronco LawnSite Member

Hey thanks Hoolie. I am going into the garage to give it a try. I am in Western Fairfax County

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, remove the spark arrestor too. They clog all too quickly w/ carbon. The dealer isn't supposed to remove them, they are mandated by law, but noone leaves them in as they rob engine performance. I yank all the screens out after purchase before they get engraved and entered in log book.

5. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Probably is the clogged muffler, stihl's do that too. If it is a T230 then it may just be weak. Shindaiwa makes good stuff but the 230 is lacking power. I kept mine for 2 weeks and then gave it away. Love those FS85's!!!

6. Bronco

Bronco LawnSite Member

Well it wasn't the muffler. where is the spark arrestor?

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Spark arrestor is in the muffler. Maybe carb is clogged or out of adjustment or spark plug fouled.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Look at the muffler. You'll see a little, short pipe sticking out with a screen in it. Remove the screen.

9. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

If the guard is removed and using too much line and/or line that's too thick are some of the biggest ways to hold down engine RPM, which will accelerate cylinder/muffler ports, and spark arrestor blockage.

That also will wipe out clutch assemblies, and create more shaft vibration.