Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have two trees in my yard and the beetles seem to be doing a number on them. You can hear the little bastards chewing and chewing. It's driving me nuts. They are also making a mess of my deck with all the little debris falling out of the trees.. :realmad:

Anyway.. The trees are fairly large (20' x 20') Plum trees and I'm getting a little concerned. I asked a local applicator about this a couple of days ago and he said that if the trees are that big.. "you don't need to worry about it". He said you only need to be concerned with trees of a caliper of 4" or less.

Is this correct?

I also planted some Crepe Myrtles this spring and are doing very well.... but I'm starting to find that the beetles are taking a liking to them. I bought some Malathion to spray on them. Will this stuff work at keeping them away?

Thanks in advance.......

·
Banned
920 Posts
Turfscape LLC said:
Do not do this!
I know why your saying this but I disagree and the reason I say that is yes it attracts them but man there there any way. The trick with traps is to set them as far away from you landscape/yard /trees or what ever as you can. I have six traps on my fence row and I have had to change the bags three times just this week. That's hundreds probably thousands of them that wont be laying eggs ever again. That has to be better than not killing them at all. Chemicals can only do so much and in less your whole neighbor hood spays your still going to have to deal with the adults some how. JMHO It's helping in my yard I can see the results I have lots of them still ..sure but from the damage there are doing I can tell I have far fewer than I did before I used the traps.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I am not saying don't kill them at all. I am advocating spraying the plants you want to protect with Talstar or Sevin, several times over the course of the weeks they are active. Research has shown that traps attract more pests, as you know. It's like a bug zapper.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
the applicator is right in some aspect. will the beetle kill the tree? a large tree as you discribed will most likley be ok, the leaves will grow back, on a smaller tree, well there not as strong/have the stored nutriants that a large tree does, but still should come out of it fine.. now for the visual aspect, it looks like crap and should be sprayed. you said it was a plum tree? if it is a fruit tree and there is a possiblity that the fruit may be eatten? then DO NOT use talstar, it's not labled for fruit trees, sevin on the other hand is labled for fruit trees, again check the lable!! also pbi gordon has a product also called AZATROL, it is labled for certin fruit trees and it is a repelent as well as a insecticide www.pbigordon.com

·
Banned
17,385 Posts
The trees could very well die due to the stress that they are under from having all the food producing leaves destroyed. Add a drought summer and any other insect pests such as borers and scales, they could be killed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Like all insects, Japanese Beetle has a life cycle that predetermins the best time for control. The adult stage is not the best time and is in fact the most expensive time to try to control. The adults are now mating and laying eggs. In a couple of weeks, these eggs hatch into grubs that begin to feed on the roots of your lawn and sometimes trees/shrubs. That is the time to apply a granular insecticide such as Merit. This stops the cycle, has a residual that lasts for three months, and is the least expensive way to go. If you spray your trees with a nonselective insecticide, your killing beneficial insects also. Most trees/shrubs will rebound from becoming defoliated by the beetle but if they don't, they may have been under stress from something else and would have expired anyway. I like the new product Eelectus I got at Lesco. It is merit AND talstar so you get the grubs and chinchbugs, bill bugs ect. I had a chinchbug out break here in eastern PA, applied this product and after one rain, my field came right back. Do it once and do it right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.