My trip to NJ DMV today...about class A

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mrusk, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. mrusk

    mrusk LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,260

    Since i am buying a 14k gvw trailer i figure i better go make sure i don't need a CDL to tow it. I go down to the MVC office and tell them i will be towing a 14k gvw with a 9000gvw truck. They i talked to 3 different people. They all looked at me like it was the dumbest question ever and than said 'No i don't need a cdl'.

    So i guess in NJ i am ok.

  2. NJemerald

    NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ
    Messages: 121

    Hey mrusk, Where you out of???
    I just had a buddy pulled over on 80 last week for being over the weight limit required for having a cdl! I'll have to check with him again for the details, if your interested!?

  3. mrusk

    mrusk LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,260

    I'm from northen NJ.

    Yea check with your buddy. i'd apperciate it!
  4. Shortchained

    Shortchained LawnSite Member
    Messages: 6

    The law says if your trailer is over 10,000 lbs. a class A CDL is required.
  5. janb

    janb LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 254

    Classes of License:

    The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

    Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

    Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

    reading between the lines... 26001 GVWR triggers CDL need, over 26k PLUS TOWING with trailer rating under 10k = B; -but with trailer rating over 10k = A

    REMEMBER... It is the GVWR, Not the actual weight. It's an expensive ticket, so I keep a CDL (with DOT medical card - required...)
  6. AintNoFun

    AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,807

    i will tell you there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in what the half breeds at DMV tell you and what the staties are gonna write you a ticket for. i'd call your local state police barracks and ask them...
  7. mrusk

    mrusk LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,260


    class a is need if you drive

    -A tractor trailer
    -A truck and trailer with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GCWR of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds.

    Thats word for words. What do you think of that? I think its acctually pretty clear.
  8. 2004F550

    2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 272

    I thought that regs were which case an trailer over 10k needs a CDL A....then if the combination is over 26k you need DOT numbers and a medical card too
  9. CutRight

    CutRight LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 257

    your GCWR triggers the CDL requirements.

    GCWR over 26,000#s requires a CDL

    truck 9,900# GVWR + trailer 18,000# GVWR = 27,900# GCWR

    truck 20,000#GCWR + trailer 10,000#GVWR = 30,000#GCWR

    truck 9,900#GVWR + trailer 14,000#GVWR = 23,900#GCWR

    truck 20,000#GVWR + trailer 5,000#GVWR = 25,000# GCWR
  10. CutRight

    CutRight LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 257

    you need DOT numbers if your GVWR is over 18,000#s

    you need commericial plates if your GVWR is over 12,500#s

    you need CDL A if your GCWR is over 26,000#s

    im going through this whole process right now registering for these numbers and my new trucks. iv talked to state police, and state DOT inspectors. Above is the simple answer.

Share This Page