Naming

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bfmc, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Bfmc

Bfmc LawnSite Member

ok, sorry if this has been answered already, couldn't find it in the search....

So in trying to come up with a name, it seems like every name I come up with has already been taken... not necessarily my area or state but in other states.... how do you come up with s name that hasent been used?

2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Well don't choose HAL, Half-Arsed Landscaping, it's already taken. Your last name, or google a name to see if it's available. Mainly in your state, unless it's a foreign corporation. You can check corporation name lists, state business names lists...

3. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

KneeSlapper.gif~c200.gif

hort101 likes this.
  4. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

I used the first few letters of each of my kids name. Briana + Stephanie + Carley = Briscar Lawn + Landscape.

You think coming up with a name is difficult, wait until you want to come up with a logo!

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You’re going to have to get creating
    Not necessarily THAT creative
    Just more creative than “lawn enforcement”

6. hal

from Georgia

Man that's what I was going to choose.. Dang it! Maybe Lawn Inforcemint. Ha catchy, oh ya that's a winner.

Bfmc likes this.
  7. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

Bfmc likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Bfmc

Bfmc LawnSite Member

Does it matter that say a name you think you came up with, is also used by someone else 2000 miles away??

9. hal

from Georgia

No it shouldn't, they are in another state. Check to see if they are incorporated and if they operate in your state. If they aren't in your state, get a tax id # with the irs, you can get it with your name if you wish, you can call the business any name as long as there is not a local conflict (state).

10. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto! Thumbs Up
    Only in your own State, when you go to register the business with your State (e.g. Tax I.D., licensing, EIN, trademark, etc.) will the issue of company name availability (duplication) be an issue.

hort101 likes this.