Narrowed my search to 3 mowers, help me decide!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JerryT, Apr 16, 2019.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Suspension seat helps but it will never compare to a ferris with a suspension seat. I have had all mowers with a suspension seat but ferris is definitely well engineered

hort101 and Dawson like this.
  2. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

Love my dealer. Wouldn't trade them for anything. Was out mowing huge property trying to do 19 accounts solo, worker was sick, and belt snaps on my favorite mower. Instead of switching mowers I just ran down to dealer and my dealers head mechanic, who refers to me as family, throws on another belt and I'm gone in minutes. They have NEVER had any of my equipment for more than 2 days. I've only needed a loaner 3 times in 4 years and they were happy to oblige. I also thing the JD mowers I own leave a damn good cut so I'm lucky on both counts.

Go back to the service dept and approach a couple mechanics and just shoot the chit, ask a few questions, see how willing they are to help etc...

hort101 and Dawson like this.
  3. Chvysb350

Chvysb350 LawnSite Member

I echo the statements about dealer support. I shopped all the mowers and found what cuts the native stuff that comprises the majority of yards in our area. I bought a Scag. The rep was awesome. He talked highly about the dealer. Went to the dealer bought the mower and have since found out that warranty work is slow, no loaners. I am kicking myself for buying the brand that I did. Not that Scag is a bad brand, but that the support isn't there. That mower is your livelihood. The first time that you get halfway through a mow and the mower stops, you are going to need it fixed, ASAP. I am a mechanic, and have been making the repairs on mine, even though it is under warranty.
    I am also one of those guys who is kicking himself for buying a $10,000 mower 1 year into business. I wished I would have gone with a cheaper mower. I have found the business to pay for the mower, but at times I feel like I am working to pay for the equipment rather than making a living. All of my properties are more than an acre. Aside from the Scag, I have 36" Gravely and a 48" Husqvarna. The Husqvarna is just a homeowner model that I bought for my daughter to ride when she comes to cut with me. I have ended up using that little rider a lot. Not a hiccup in two years, cuts beautifully in dry grass, sips gas, and cost me less than $1400 new. The only downside is the wet grass and small discharge. If I did this all over, I would have gone cheap to start. Of course, at this point I get irritated with the hundreds of "cheap" startups in my area. All of them running a $1200 Walmart mower with a handbuilt trailer behind a Civic. All the while, I am making a $250 a month payment on my Scag....she better last me 10 years! Lol
    Not trying to change your mind. Just throwing the opposite extreme out there for thought.
    And I dream of owning the Ferris!!

hort101 likes this.
  4. ktoom

ktoom LawnSite Member

Im going on season 3 with my Ferris 61'' 3200 with 37hp efi briggs. It has been an awesome mower, the ride speaks for itself and your body will thank you. Id rank the cut in the top 3 in the mowing world.

I added the suspension seat from the Ferris f320z as this seat is way better than what they were recommending for the 3200. It looks like ferris now finally offers this seat for the 3200. Well worth the money.

hort101, Dawson and Chvysb350 like this.
  5. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Senior Member
    from GSO NC

Yup. He’s not understanding that next season he’s gonna loose at least 4-5 of the 15. Hell it might not be next season could be this summer. In my opinion 15 accounts isn’t enough to save a complete winter fund. That mower payment keeps rolling in after mowing season is long gone.

hort101 and Chvysb350 like this.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Yea
    That too
    But even if you buy cash that’s cash you don’t have later
    And lack of cash flow is death in this business

hort101 and GSO LAWNEN4CER like this.
  7. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Gold Member

Think my next mower will be a grasshopper.

hort101 likes this.