1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

National Association of Landscape Professionals

Discussion in 'NALP' started by Chad Smith, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Silver Member

That’s interesting, I aim to target more commercials as we grow, thus far I haven’t seen that in the fine print. How large a commercial are we talking? Like 20+ acres commercial campus type stuff?

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

My bad
    I meant more along the lines of installation
    Not specifically maintenance
    I have seen that spec on irrigation maintenance tho.

3. TPendagast

Male

Yea
    The “success penalty” is non sensical

4. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Fanatic

Should be no more than a two-tier dues system. One for small mow and blow and another for companies with 500,000 or more in revenue. Both should be reasonable in light of what you get in return.

My state landscape association is a bargain-three tiers and none that would break the bank with costs from $240 to $430. You get tons of free education at monthly meetings with full catering for you and all your employees and family members. The food alone is worth the price-now that's how to attract members. Also free webinars from various industry pros and vendor discounts from 5-15%. An example of the savings that would more than pay for your membership would be a plant purchase of $5000 from one of our member nurseries that enjoys a 10% discount.

hort101 and Ijustwantausername like this.
  5. Ijustwantausername

Could not agree more! Don't get me wrong, I want to be a part of it but when I compare the yearly value of it to my company versus the price point, there is a bit of a disconnect. I instead used that monies to join my local BOMA chapter to work on my pipeline that way.

zlandman and hort101 like this.
  6. TPendagast

Male

"back in the day" those local associations (county state etc) started out more like "clubs", kinda like you just described... you learned stuff just by knowing the old timers and some of their 'wisdom' would rub off on you.

Things seemed more 'professional' back then before jealousy, competition and politics set in.
    Now the associations feel more like a laborers union... Not my scene.

Every once in a while, Ill be somewhere - cruising down the road and i'll stop and see someone doing something and wonder - what's he doing there?
    These days its more like "WTF does he think he's doing" but sometimes i see something interesting or different I want to learn or know more about.

IMO too much focus on equipment these days and less on 'how to'

Love the Green Biz and hort101 like this.
  7. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. A machine is just a machine but knowledge is power. The power to see something and make it work by knowing the procedures that achieve the best result.

hort101 likes this.
  8. TPendagast

Male

There’s a lot you can do with know how
    Everything we do was done before “better equipment” was made.
    Use the basics first then grow

you don’t need a woodchipper just because you encountered some brush once or twice.

“OMG the grass is high for five weeks a season I can’t do anything with less that 37hp!”

I used to do this with an 11 hp 48” and an 18” hp 72”
    Was it more difficult? sure
    Did it take longer? Yes
    But when guys don’t even have a full customer list for 40 hours a week.... what’s time right now anyway?

no more patience
    No more learning
    Just what ever the dealer tells you will get it done now.
    The only people that are profiting are the manufacturers

Love the Green Biz likes this.
  9. Ijustwantausername

I'll chime in again since someone liked my post and reminded me of this. I am still glad I didn't renew my NALP membership. I am not 100% sure (can't think of another organization) but I think NALP gave my email to a TON of advertisers as it gets blown up weekly. This is a huge annoyance. No matter how many I unsubscribe from I cannot stop them.

Love the Green Biz likes this.