Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys-
Many people have been talking about a national black list that we all can use to see if a customer is a dead beat. I am happy to tell you that that service does exist. It is called SolidContract.com and it costs $29.99 per month for unlimited use. It will help you identify customers who do not pay and it will help you collect from customers who owe you money with no additional fees. Let me know if you have any questions:
[email protected]

Matt Gugliotti
President
SolidContract.com

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Guys-
Many people have been talking about a national black list that we all can use to see if a customer is a dead beat. I am happy to tell you that that service does exist. It is called SolidContract.com and it costs $29.99 per month for unlimited use. It will help you identify customers who do not pay and it will help you collect from customers who owe you money with no additional fees. Let me know if you have any questions:
[email protected]

Matt Gugliotti
President
SolidContract.com
$30.00 a month is pricey for the occasional non payer. How many customers are listed in your data base as of now? What happens when they find out their on your data base and pay their bill? Are they taken off?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
$30.00 a month is pricey for the occasional non payer. How many customers are listed in your data base as of now? What happens when they find out their on your data base and pay their bill? Are they taken off?
Yeah, the price for that service would cost me more than I lose in a year's time from deadbeats. I could see where it could be a valuable service though. If all I did was high dollar landscape installs, then it would be worth it. You can't afford to have a deadbeat that owes you thousands of dollars.

·
Banned
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys-
Thanks for all your comments, I will see if I can answer all your questions.

1. As for the price of the service, $30.00 a month should be less than one mow for one customer once a month, at least it was when I was doing lawns. I used to bill mowing on a monthly basis, some times 4 mows some times 5 mows per month at about $45.00 per mow. This would be about $225.00 a month. People would have 2 weeks to pay at which time I would continue to provide service, another $80.00. By the time they were 30 days past due (another $80.00) I would terminate service- so I would be into them for $225.00 + $80.00 + 80.00=$385.00, more than the cost for the service, which does not account for your time to collect the money. So to say that it is too expensive is perplexing to me. I know how much I pay for insurance that I never use, and then get beat up when I need to make a claim. All this too, is to forget about the cost of running a business such as this.

2. As for how it violates any credit laws and such, I'm not sure which ones you are pointing to exactly, but we do follow the federal regulations as it relates to credit reporting, and as such this is a legal business. I had a team of lawyers working with me for two years to develop this so that it would be legal and just for both client and consumer.

3. As far as the database is concerned, we do have a surprising number of non-paying consumers on the site. However, our goal really is to have as few people listed on the site as possible- Why you ask? Simple, because our job is to make sure you get paid- you worked hard for your money you should get it. The only way a consumer gets off the site is to: (a.) go past the seven years (laws vary in some states) or (b.) to pay you in full- that is their incentive to pay your invoice. They receive a collections letter stating the terms in which they have to pay, and the consequences for not paying. Simply put, we want you to be paid on time every time.

4. Who is using the site? The power of SolidContract.com is derived partly to the fact that we have such a diverse group of people using it. Plumbers, landscapes, the oil delivery industry, roofers, general contractors, waste removal services, paving, we are even talking to some professional services such as doctors! So the service spans a wide range of industries so you are not just getting information from landscapers- the point is to have the ability to make better business decisions.

5. Anything in business that is worth while comes at a cost. All of you guys on here are professionals and care about your industry and your business. As such, you should consider how this small investment into your business and your industry can make such a dramatic impact. And for all of those who have never been taken, or say it can't happen to them you are fooling yourself, and walking in very dangerous territory- I know from experience, I almost lost my business and my home a few years ago because a few customers didn't pay me a few large sums of money- that's why I started this business. We need something as an industry to protect us, the courts, liens, lawyers, collections are all time consuming or too costly, plus they do very little to protect our industry or the people working in our communities of lawn care professionals. My sincere belief is that SolidContract.com will do that. But, it is up to you guys to decide, I've built it and put it together for you, it's up to you if you chose to use it.

I hope this has answered some of your questions... please feel free to comment, or ask any other questions you may have; I will try to get to all of them. By the way, I freely admit that this is not a site for everyone, but for the vast majority of us it will substantially change the way we do business.

Thanks!
Matt Gugliotti
President
SolidContract.com

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Guys-
Thanks for all your comments, I will see if I can answer all your questions.

1. As for the price of the service, $30.00 a month should be less than one mow for one customer once a month, at least it was when I was doing lawns. I used to bill mowing on a monthly basis, some times 4 mows some times 5 mows per month at about $45.00 per mow. This would be about $225.00 a month. People would have 2 weeks to pay at which time I would continue to provide service, another $80.00. By the time they were 30 days past due (another $80.00) I would terminate service- so I would be into them for $225.00 + $80.00 + 80.00=$385.00, more than the cost for the service, which does not account for your time to collect the money. So to say that it is too expensive is perplexing to me. I know how much I pay for insurance that I never use, and then get beat up when I need to make a claim. All this too, is to forget about the cost of running a business such as this.

2. As for how it violates any credit laws and such, I'm not sure which ones you are pointing to exactly, but we do follow the federal regulations as it relates to credit reporting, and as such this is a legal business. I had a team of lawyers working with me for two years to develop this so that it would be legal and just for both client and consumer.

3. As far as the database is concerned, we do have a surprising number of non-paying consumers on the site. However, our goal really is to have as few people listed on the site as possible- Why you ask? Simple, because our job is to make sure you get paid- you worked hard for your money you should get it. The only way a consumer gets off the site is to: (a.) go past the seven years (laws vary in some states) or (b.) to pay you in full- that is their incentive to pay your invoice. They receive a collections letter stating the terms in which they have to pay, and the consequences for not paying. Simply put, we want you to be paid on time every time.

4. Who is using the site? The power of SolidContract.com is derived partly to the fact that we have such a diverse group of people using it. Plumbers, landscapes, the oil delivery industry, roofers, general contractors, waste removal services, paving, we are even talking to some professional services such as doctors! So the service spans a wide range of industries so you are not just getting information from landscapers- the point is to have the ability to make better business decisions.

5. Anything in business that is worth while comes at a cost. All of you guys on here are professionals and care about your industry and your business. As such, you should consider how this small investment into your business and your industry can make such a dramatic impact. And for all of those who have never been taken, or say it can't happen to them you are fooling yourself, and walking in very dangerous territory- I know from experience, I almost lost my business and my home a few years ago because a few customers didn't pay me a few large sums of money- that's why I started this business. We need something as an industry to protect us, the courts, liens, lawyers, collections are all time consuming or too costly, plus they do very little to protect our industry or the people working in our communities of lawn care professionals. My sincere belief is that SolidContract.com will do that. But, it is up to you guys to decide, I've built it and put it together for you, it's up to you if you chose to use it.

I hope this has answered some of your questions... please feel free to comment, or ask any other questions you may have; I will try to get to all of them. By the way, I freely admit that this is not a site for everyone, but for the vast majority of us it will substantially change the way we do business.

Thanks!
Matt Gugliotti
President
SolidContract.com
Ok so they pay and get removed from the site. How will the next contractor know they are non or slow payers iff they are off the site? Also its rare for me to have non payers. I have slow payers and i am a little more patient than you. I dont cancel service a day after the due date. I have only not been paid once and it was a one time mow for $35. I am out of simsbury and you in avon you know we are in a high end market. How can your serviced still be beneficial to me when i dont have or very rarely have non payers and im paying you $30 a month.

·
Banned
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey!
Nice to talk to a neighbor. As I said, the service is not for everyone, at this point in your business, it might not make sense unless you are going to get into more accounts or bigger jobs. It is like buying insurance, you don't know how much you needed it until your truck and trailer are plowed under a school buses rear end! I realize the price can be a bit cost prohibitive for some, and this was intentional. In my last reply I explained how the pricing structure would work for someone in the mowing business... There does need to be however, a point that some one can not "afford" the service and this is intentional. The service is designed to give you accurate information, if every guy with a pick up truck who called himself a landscaper could sign up for it and post consumers, think of what a mess that would create. I need to eliminate the fly by nighters with no license, no insurance, and no training or care for the industry... We need to bring credibility to this industry, not bring it down a level. The people that are signing up for the site are the ones who care about their industry, their business, and raising the bar of professionalism. Please excuse me if I have offended anyone in my previous statements- I started off at 14 years old too not knowing what insurance was or about how to run a business- so I'm not putting anyone down- keep up the hard work, remain focused, and you will go far in this business. But we all know the fly by nighters are out there and are only in it for a quick buck- driving down the cost of a job so you have to work harder... I remember years ago when a lawn used to be $65.00 to mow, now I see guys doing the same lawn for half that, that's not fair for all the guys that are doing things above board and paying insurance, taxes, etc. So in short, it is about getting good information from good people who have a stake in the business.

All that aside, it just may not be the time for your business to sign up for the service. The main thing is that you know it is there if you ever need it. We have tried to make it affordable for as many people as possible- but like any other business it becomes very expensive to run. With all the feedback we have gotten in the past year we are soon going to be launching version 2.0 which will incorporate a lot of the feedback we have gotten from our subscribers and all of this costs a ton of money.

As my neighbor- I can say I am surprised how many people in our area are on the site (non-paying customers)! I still operate my landscape company in Avon- and I can say I have had a definite decline in sales this year. It is unfortunately a sign of the times, I'm sure you have seen it too. To me it is all the more reason we need to have better tools to help keep us profitable.

I'm just trying to do my part in helping our industry and my fellow landscapes. I take it very seriously when people don't get paid and we are working hard to make sure you do. Our goal is to revolutionize the way we do business, and that means giving you the contractor the ability to make a smart decision about the people you work for and the ability to shorten your billing cycles and reduce the stress of collecting payment. If we can do something to help you be more profitable, or improve our service, I want to know about it.

I hope this has been some help, I would be more than happy to meet with you in person to discuss the site, and show it to you as I have done for so many other subscribers. So don't hesitate to call or send me an e-mail.

Thanks!
Matt Gugliotti
President
www.Solidcontract.com

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Hey!
Nice to talk to a neighbor. As I said, the service is not for everyone, at this point in your business, it might not make sense unless you are going to get into more accounts or bigger jobs. It is like buying insurance, you don't know how much you needed it until your truck and trailer are plowed under a school buses rear end! I realize the price can be a bit cost prohibitive for some, and this was intentional. In my last reply I explained how the pricing structure would work for someone in the mowing business... There does need to be however, a point that some one can not "afford" the service and this is intentional. The service is designed to give you accurate information, if every guy with a pick up truck who called himself a landscaper could sign up for it and post consumers, think of what a mess that would create. I need to eliminate the fly by nighters with no license, no insurance, and no training or care for the industry... We need to bring credibility to this industry, not bring it down a level. The people that are signing up for the site are the ones who care about their industry, their business, and raising the bar of professionalism. Please excuse me if I have offended anyone in my previous statements- I started off at 14 years old too not knowing what insurance was or about how to run a business- so I'm not putting anyone down- keep up the hard work, remain focused, and you will go far in this business. But we all know the fly by nighters are out there and are only in it for a quick buck- driving down the cost of a job so you have to work harder... I remember years ago when a lawn used to be $65.00 to mow, now I see guys doing the same lawn for half that, that's not fair for all the guys that are doing things above board and paying insurance, taxes, etc. So in short, it is about getting good information from good people who have a stake in the business.

All that aside, it just may not be the time for your business to sign up for the service. The main thing is that you know it is there if you ever need it. We have tried to make it affordable for as many people as possible- but like any other business it becomes very expensive to run. With all the feedback we have gotten in the past year we are soon going to be launching version 2.0 which will incorporate a lot of the feedback we have gotten from our subscribers and all of this costs a ton of money.

As my neighbor- I can say I am surprised how many people in our area are on the site (non-paying customers)! I still operate my landscape company in Avon- and I can say I have had a definite decline in sales this year. It is unfortunately a sign of the times, I'm sure you have seen it too. To me it is all the more reason we need to have better tools to help keep us profitable.

I'm just trying to do my part in helping our industry and my fellow landscapes. I take it very seriously when people don't get paid and we are working hard to make sure you do. Our goal is to revolutionize the way we do business, and that means giving you the contractor the ability to make a smart decision about the people you work for and the ability to shorten your billing cycles and reduce the stress of collecting payment. If we can do something to help you be more profitable, or improve our service, I want to know about it.

I hope this has been some help, I would be more than happy to meet with you in person to discuss the site, and show it to you as I have done for so many other subscribers. So don't hesitate to call or send me an e-mail.

Thanks!
Matt Gugliotti
President
www.Solidcontract.com
im not trying to beat a dead horse with a stick but, you havent answered my question. How will a subscriber to your site know if a customer is a dead beat if they paid to get off your site? Also your mowing prices are way off. My average cut is $43. I mow 63 weekly or abut 12 a day. Thats just mowing. Installs are doing well this year as well. I have actually had my best year. Although if i focused only on installs i am sure i would have felt the econemy. $65 a cut years ago? I guess i get your point if your sending non owner crews out to do the work. Im lic, insured, registered with DRS, and pay income taxes. At my current rate i have no problem supporting my family and hobbies and condo in Naples :). 12 X 43 = 516 per day billed. Thats solo. It would be nice to get $65

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Do I need to "contract" for a period of time? What happens if we don't pay the bill? Do we get put on "the list"? Sorry, I just had to...:laugh:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I haven't looked at the site, but do you allow anyone to add a deadbeat? It would be a more effective method. Let anyone contribute... just make those who wanna SEE the list pay. And then have a scale/system that indicates their frequency of violation.

There are good folks out there who refuse to pay a landscaper b/c they're holding out for the landscaper to actually do what was promised! I see this frequently! But those people could be nailed here for no good reason...

Just my .02 ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.