Need a inexpensive method to uniformly do spray applications

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Az Gardener, Aug 19, 2009.

  1. Az Gardener

    Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,899

    I want to apply barricade for poa control and I need to be precise as we will be overseeding winter rye about 8 weeks after the application. I can't be "doing my best" with a back pack. The coverage needs to be precise and uniform. I would love to buy one of the ride on units with a boom but I just don't do enough to justify the cost. Anyone used one of the booms that attach to a back pack? any thoughts. The areas I will be treating are 3-26K with most being in the 5-8k range.
  2. greendoctor

    greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,976

    I used to use a 2 nozzle boom attached to a hand pumped backpack. I think both Solo and SP make booms that fit on the end of their wand. My preference was for making my own out of more sturdy material. BTW, it does get really tiring spraying more than 2000 sq ft with a hand sprayer. I now run a boom with an engine drive backpack. 5000 sq ft, 1.25 gallons per 1000 and excellent coverage. Yes, a good engine drive backpack is expensive, however the money spent on it I made back many times over. It will also go places that a ride on sprayer will not fit into. Many of my lawns have obstacles in the way of narrow gates, stairs and being on grades that are not safe to ride something on it.
  3. txgrassguy

    txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,083

    Or do what I do - a 50 gallon Lesco tank, D252 Hydro pump, 300' of double wall hose on a Hannay reel with a walk behind boom.
    I installed high-flow disconnects on the guns as I have two types of handguns, one tree gun and the walk behind boom.
    Changing guns is easier than picking up a $3 crackwhore on Monday night.
  4. FdLLawnMan

    FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,246

    What kind of disconnects do you use if I may ask? The ones I have are from McMaster-Carr are ok but I am looking for something better.
  5. txgrassguy

    txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,083

    I do not recall the brand names but I picked them up at a Tractor Supply for $8.00 each.
    The disconnects are meant for high flow hydraulic applications, 11-18 gpm at pressures exceeding 2,300psi so they both hold up well to a measly 300 psi and 6 gpm.
    Put the main disconnect on the hose end with the corresponding male ends on the four guns.
    To disconnect shut off the flow to the hose, bleed the remaining pressure in the hose and gun, then "snap" - pop the one gun off for another.
    No more wrenches, tape, nothing - HOWEVER - I did forget one time to bleed the pressure before disconnecting - ended up looking like I played twister with a bunch of smurfs.
    Won't make that mistake again.
  6. ted putnam

    ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,711

    Great idea. I've seen it done on Tree/Shrub units but never thought about doing it with a boom for lawns...

Share This Page