• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Need a new grass, ideas?

Junebug

LawnSite Member
I live north of Raleigh, NC, the current yard is 80% crabgrass-15% weeds and 5% fescue. I'm thinking of bermuda since it seems to do better around here and doesn't require the maintenance that fescue needs. But, I'm open for suggestions, and I will hire this job out - I just want to know a little before I start getting bids so somebody doesn't try to sell me something I don't need. Thanks guys!

JB

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Sounds good and Bermuda is somewhat drought resistant but not completely. Make sure that everything is killed off before resoding. Even though the company will remove the old sod or should, killing off the old weeds will help. Don't use any pre-em on new sod for at least 6 months, keep it watered. Your sod installers should advise you on care and maintainece of the Bermuda. There's some good people in Raleigh. I'm there with friends quite a bit. Maybe one of the guys here will chime in and help you out.
Good Luck

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Sorry, I should have made it a bit clearer, while your advice is right on, i can't afford sod. I'm looking to reseed.
All the more important to kill off all vegetation with Professional Roundup, cut out or a heavy roto-tiller to cut deeply to 6", rake off ALL dead debris, burn it or take to dump . Apply NO PRE-EMERGENT. Sow two times the Bermuda Seed as recommended on bag, I'd sow some rye to shade the seed and discourage birds. Rye will die when sun warms up the soil. The rye when it does die will be good mulch and covering for Bermuda seedlings. You can do all of this yourself except maybe the big tiller (I'm thinking of a 4' behind a tractor).
Getting rid of the old crap should be your first concern. Don't spare the glyphosate.
Roy