Need a price recommendation from the Pro's

zap427

LawnSite Member
Hi,

I have a 2004 Exmark Lazer HP, 48 inch deck, 18 HP Kohler and mulch kit that I need to sell. The mower has 360 Hrs, serviced by the dealer and stored inside. I have only used it on my own yard all these years and need opinions on what to try and sell it for? We are moving and I will no longer need the mower.

I hoped you folks would know a good asking price? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
I would GUESS at 2k to 3k range, whatever your market would allow. 360 hours is real good, but hard to say.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
Honestly a 15 year old mower I wouldn't pay more than $1500.
Not just hrs on machine but 15 years of time is hard on all parts, tires, hoses, seat. Plus most places will sell zero down, zero interest brand new full warranty. Plus newer design, more comfortable seat, better everthing.
But thats just me. Someone may $3000. ?

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
Honestly a 15 year old mower I wouldn't pay more than $1500.
Not just hrs on machine but 15 years of time is hard on all parts, tires, hoses, seat. Plus most places will sell zero down, zero interest brand new full warranty. Plus newer design, more comfortable seat, better everthing.
But thats just me. Someone may $3000. ?
I had to laugh because just the other day this was my thinking why someone wasn't interested in purchasing my mower. Although no where close to 15 years old, it crossed my mind when I was trying to look at things from a buyer's perspective. On the other hand, I don't agree with you at all, and unfortunately that seems to be the mentality of folks today. People don't have enough money to pay for something with 5k cash, but instead they'll go finance $8-10k. Lol. Makes no sense to me. Having made relatively good financial decisions over the years, I'm a firm believer in buying used. Have someone else take the huge upfront depreciation loss, then use the **** out of it for years to come, only to sell and recoup a fair share on the backend. I've done this with everything from cars, to trucks, to motorcycles, to boats, to equipment, etc. In reality, everything on a mower can be rebuilt to like new and they haven't changed much over the years. Sure they may look nicer, but we're talking about a machine to cut grass, not put a man on the moon.

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
^^^ that explains why I'm not a huge fan of used mowers.
In your example you've used the **** out of it, then selling it.
Why would I want an old beat machine? And if used mowers are awsome, why would you sell it?
I use my equipment, not abuse. There's a difference. I follow the proper maintenance schedules, clean, inspect, and lubricate... All concepts from TPM and Lean. I seldom have break downs. My Used toys and equipment looks and runs better than most people's 1 or 2 year old stuff.

Edit - Apologies I forgot to address your other question. Why don't I keep my equipment? Well I still have an echo pb4600 backpack blower that I bought in 1997. So that 22 year old machine has lived beyond expectation. It does get hard to start because it's likely down on compression, so I decided to give it to my dad to putz around the house. I have an exmark walk behind m48 belt drive. Do you remember when they had belt drive walk behinds? I never upgraded that to the Hydro units. Looks pretty good for 20 something years old. Still have that one. I did upgrade to a zero turn because I'm getting older and slightly lazy.

Last edited:

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
I use my equipment, not abuse. There's a difference. I follow the proper maintenance schedules, clean, inspect, and lubricate... All concepts from TPM and Lean. I seldom have break downs. My Used toys and equipment looks and runs better than most people's 1 or 2 year old stuff.

Edit - Apologies I forgot to address your other question. Why don't I keep my equipment? Well I still have an echo pb4600 backpack blower that I bought in 1997. So that 22 year old machine has lived beyond expectation. It does get hard to start because it's likely down on compression, so I decided to give it to my dad to putz around the house. I have an exmark walk behind m48 belt drive. Do you remember when they had belt drive walk behinds? I never upgraded that to the Hydro units. Looks pretty good for 20 something years old. Still have that one. I did upgrade to a zero turn because I'm getting older and slightly lazy.
I didn't mean you in particular.
Just meant buying used equipment in general. I have bought used before but in general I don't want someone else's problem. Now trucks I always buy used, those are where buying new has huge depreciation.

And yes I remember belt drive, I'm 57.