Need a Recommendation

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by mtdman, Jul 24, 2017.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I just cut down a crab apple tree in my own yard. It was a pretty mature tree and has had that stupid black spot disease for several years. We want to replace that tree in the front yard, but I'm not sure I want another crab apple. I don't want another tree that can get that blight and the leaf loss issue. But I do want another tree that doesn't grow really big, kinda stays a medium size, and will provide a little bit of shade in my front yard. So I need recommendations. Also, after that tree being infected with that fungus for several years, I need something that won't catch the fungus from anything that might be lingering in the yard. Whereas I've done lawn care for 23 years, I have no clue about trees and need help finding a good replacement. I was thinking about a red japanese maple.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

hort101 likes this.
  2. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

Kwazan & Mt. Fuji Cherry, Kousa or Florida Dogwood. Red bud, River Birch, crape Myrtle are medium size. You'll have to check on disease resistance 7 if these grow in your zone. Your local extension should have some recommendations.

mtdman and hort101 like this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

What zone are you in? What is the location like?
    What about the apple stump?

4. OP
    OP
    mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'm in Michigan, zone 5-6. Front yard, gets full morning sun, afternoon shade. Good soil, no problems with drainage, pH right down the middle. The crabapple stump will be ground out later this week.

I'm leaning towards that kousa dogwood that oqueoque recommended.

hort101 likes this.
  5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

A hardy variety of J Maple would work I like the kousa too

mtdman likes this.
  6. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

If available, look at the Royal Raindrops Crabapple also. I have one in my front lawn which is southern exposure and full sun and I wanted it due to the fact that it is/has been disease free for the 4 years it has been planted.