1. Countdown to live Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a truck recommendation

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Colin C, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Colin C

Colin C LawnSite Member

Ok guys, I need help figuring out what I NEED. Here's my current setup.

4x7 open trailer
    21" Toro Recycler
    Stihl FS40
    Stihl BR200

I pull it with my Jeep right now, and it really sucks towing even this small load, plus I have nowhere to easily throw debris. I plan to move up to a 5x10 trailer soon, and ill be buying a grandstand in the future as well as a spare trimmer and blower. Think I could get by with a 1/4 ton truck like a Ranger or Canyon?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The trucks you listed will probably do the job just fine but eventually you will want a 1/2 ton or larger. Do plenty of research so you get the right truck. Some are more reliable than others. Have been personally looking for a small truck for one of our daughters. while the gas mileage is a bit better they are not all that much cheaper than 1/2 tons.

Good luck on your search!

3. Colin C

Colin C LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'm definitely noticing that the pricing is marginally better, if at all.

4. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

I work out of a Dakota payload is not much lower then a half ton but mpgs aren't much better either. That being said I love it I'll drive it till it drops