Need advice on a walk behind mower

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
weve run a 32'' exmark metro with 15hp kawdawg over 15 years on gated back yards and its my favorite mower ive ever run . and have you checked tire pressure on your deere ? low tires could be lowering mower . and could buying new taller tires be an option ?

OP
J

johnap104

LawnSite Member
weve run a 32'' exmark metro with 15hp kawdawg over 15 years on gated back yards and its my favorite mower ive ever run . and have you checked tire pressure on your deere ? low tires could be lowering mower . and could buying new taller tires be an option ?
Yes, the tire pressure was one of the first things I checked. Checked level of deck too and it’s level. I obviously can’t expect a 4” deck height like it states as I’m sure I have to account for the weight of the tractor pushing down too.

I appreciate the feedbacks from this forum. For those who took the time to offer advice instead of criticism, I thank you.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I can promise you that I can take a tractor on and over the crest without scalping. The numbers on your dial do not necessarily correspond to actual and correct inches. Most JD dials are simply a set of number to be used a s reference points, not actual HOC, though they are starting to change that.

I am one of the few on here that mows with both a ZTR and a GT. Here are some tips that might help you.

First, get a JD deck gauge if you don't have one already. They are about $6-10 depending on the dealer. Park your mower on a surface that you can check to see if it is free from even minor humps and dips as 1/8" here that is high, and 1/8" over there that is low can throw off your measurements by a 1?4" and it can get much worse that that depending on the surface.

Next, set the deck to the height you are cutting at and see what the measurement from the bottom of the tip of the cutting edge on the blades measures out at. If that number doesn't match your dial, refer to your ops manual on how to adjust your deck and set the front so that the blades match the dial number as closely as possible (the blades should be pointing front to back parallel to the frame).

Next, check that your deck is level side to side, then check the pitch. With a JD it should be 1/4" down at the front of the blades themselves, not the deck shell.

Once that is done, set the gauge wheels to be approximately 3/8" - 1/2" above the surface where you are checking everything else while the deck is still in the cutting position. They should not carry the deck, but they should not be too high either. A lot of guys set them to the top to avoid catching them on roots etc at full speed on their Z, but I actually have mine set correctly for my HOC and I use mine and I don't scalp with a 60" deck on crests or dips etc.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Hey Redmax Fan, does $1495 sound reasonable for a Exmark 32” Metro with minimal use? I’m guessing it’s 3 years old. The guy said he didn’t use it much
I don't think they've made a 32in metro in many years. Definitely way more than 3.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
They still make 32” Metros.

eXmark discontinued 32” Vikings about 15 years ago. The Vikings were much much better on those small yards but cut into sales of 36” Tracers

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
Hey Redmax Fan, does $1495 sound reasonable for a Exmark 32” Metro with minimal use? I’m guessing it’s 3 years old. The guy said he didn’t use it much
i think new ones are around 3500 so its a fair price if its truely lightly used . and thing is if it was used only residentially its like brand new for a commercial mower with say 100 cuts on it in 3 wisc years when commercial mowers do 3000 cuts per year for say 3 years before needing heavier maintenance work . that mower runs for a decade doing residential before needing any work . but i see that ridins chimed in this thread so ide do exactly what he says with your deere because hes a mower authority thats presenting expert advice so i completely believe if he says you can make that deere work it'll work

OP
J

johnap104

LawnSite Member
Ok, thanks for the advice. I took Ridin Geeens advice also and dropped off my JD at the dealer to have them look at the deck. I took home an Exmark Vantage Series 3 36”walk behind to try out. It has 8 hours on it and he wants $7,000 for it. He’ll give me $3,000 for my JD x310 on trade. Anyway I thought I would try it out. I look like I’m drunk trying to get use to the controls but this thing mows superbly. I tried cutting the back hill side to side, diagonally, and straight up and down. I’m not really able to stand mowing the back yard and quickly found out that straight up and down works the best. Any other way and the mower tends to slide down hill. Since it’s more of a compact unit, I have to look over the top and take baby steps going down hill because your close to the handles with less space below down near the back by your feet. I was looking more towards a Viking or Turf Tracer S-series 36” if I decide to go new. I’ll get the JD dialed in first but I ca get over the cut quality of the Exmark. I’m hooked now

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
but that deere with deck right and sharp blades will cut great . ide rather keep the deere and buy the used metro for 1500 and let the year play out and decide next spring which to keep because you'll save 5500 and that metro will cut as good as the 7000 mower just not as shiny . plus that deere with a big kaw in it is an awesome lawn tractor . dont let that money burn a hole in your pocket

Top Forums