Lawn Care Forum banner

Need advice on growing grass, please help

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dmc456 
#1 ·
I have just moved into a new home. The yard needs work. I have a decent stand of grass in the front yard but the back yard is another issue. The former owner had dogs fenced in the back yard. the dog had dug holes all over the yard. Since moving in last week, I have filled the holes with top soil. What do I have to do to start grass growing. What about seed, fertilizer, lime, etc. Please give me some insight on what I will have to do. I live 60 miles west of Knoxville Tn. Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
The best thing to do would be to rent a good, commerecial slit seeder and go over it without the seed in it first then make the 2 passes with half the rate in each pass, and I might even put a layer of compost or topsoil over the seeds to protect them, and wait a week or two then put the recommended starter fertilizer per 1000/sf. Then WATER WATER WATER and WATER it so the seeds start to grow, then slack off the water to every couple days.
You need to get the seed growing so it might be able to get some good roots going to help when it gets hot.
In the fall, I would get a good commerecial core aerator and double aerate it, then seed.

You will need a soil test to find out how much lime you may or may not need, it will also tell you what other nuterients are needed.

#6 ·
get a soil test first, then correct the soil chemistry, then seed late summer, or early fall.

I assume you are trying to grow cool season turf, as warm season turf would be different advice

#7 ·
See turf type tall fescue only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will outperform any other turf for your area. Just have a good mower to cut it because it will get nice and thick like carpet.

Even a 6.5hp toro has trouble mulching when i'm only cutting just 1.5" of growth off my lawn.

If done correctly, you won't need to water and only spot treat for weeds.

#8 ·
That is you won't need to water the following summer once it is mature. To get the seed to germinate purchase 2-3 digital timers from Home Depot so you can set them to water 3 times a day for 10-15 minutes per zone for the first 5 days, then cut back the watering at night to keep fungus from growning. This will keep the see moist and germinate very quickly. I can have grass 2" tall in 14 days with this method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.