Need Advice on Planting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gunterslawnandlandscape, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Gunterslawnandlandscape

Gunterslawnandlandscape LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, I am still in the beginning stages of my landscape company. I am familiar with the actual planting procedures, and have completed 5-6 sizable designs and installations, but I am confused as to how I should get rid of the undergrowth on this one before planting everything. I have attached pictures, should I pull the vegetation as much as I can, weedeat and spray the rest with glysophate, and then till under? Or should I just cut, spray and till, or maybe even skip the tilling stage. At what depth would you recommend? I am somewhat worried about erosion on the hill. Thanks!

ps5.jpg

ps1.jpg

ps2.jpg

ps4.jpg

ps3.jpg

ps7.jpg

2. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Member

You didn’t say what you are planting or what you have planned, but based on what you’ve said you want a blank canvas on which to start over, replanting the beds in the same basic size and location.

Can’t tell you the “best” way but here’s what I would do: gly the existing. Use a full rate and smoke what’s there. When it’s all been burned down, mow as close as you can without digging dirt. Replant and mulch. Dig the usual shallow “moat” at the edge of the beds so the mulch doesn’t run down the hill in the rain. Return as often as the customer is willing to pay for to spot gly anything of the old that breaks through the mulch. Once the new plantings are well established in their new home, apply pre-emergent to the beds with directed spray.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    hort101 likes this.
  3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Scrape it out with a skid steer (bobcat) and then add new soil. That is the best way and fastest.

hort101 likes this.
  4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

AgreeThumbs UpThumbs Up
    it looks like ground cover and weeds