Need Advice Please!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravelyWoman, Jun 13, 2011.

  1. GravelyWoman

    GravelyWoman LawnSite Member
    Messages: 75

    I have picked up two facilities in the "Urgent Care" field. Both are owned by the same company. The director over the facilities requested that I start their service this week. I have requested that they sign a two year contract with me. I have sent these twice and have yet to receive them back.

    What do I do? Go on to the properties without a contract in place? Or wait until the director signs and returns the documents??

    At a loss.....

  2. Golfpro21

    Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 563

    I would not start until something is in place....I know you want to hep and get going, but you gotta cover your butt also
  3. GravelyWoman

    GravelyWoman LawnSite Member
    Messages: 75

    Thanks! The more I think about it, I am leaning towards just "waiting it out...." When you call, email and beg for further information it becomes aggravating!
  4. LandStar

    LandStar LawnSite Member
    Messages: 1

    It also depends on how much time you would be investing to go out to do a week or two of maintenance. If you are not putting in a significant amount of time (say an hour or two) per cutting. You are not risking too much.

    Communication will be your best friend in either case. You just don't want to leave the customer to stupidly think that they need to call someone else because you haven't started. Learned that one the hard way a few times.

    Good Luck
  5. AzLawnMan

    AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 409

    Good luck trying to get a commercial property to sign a 1 year contract so I would forget about a 2 year deal. I just signed a commercial property that I used to do about a year ago when it was sold to another company that wanted to try another company. Well he called today and I sent him a contract, he called and wanted to make sure it was a 30 day in/out contract, standard in Arizona. I told him yeah and he emailed me the contract signed and we start on friday. I have another HOA that is a 1 year deal, but it still has a 30 day cancellation notice at any time, so the one year doesnt mean anything, its just another way for those type of properties to try and negotiate a cheaper price. My main customer called today and wants to give me another one of her properties but the HOA only wants to pay half of what I bid it at. She went to bat for me and got me my full bid amount. Now as of late, I am actually in a position that I havent been in awhile in that I can turn down work and not care, so I can move my prices up or down depending on the type of account it is. Expenses as of right now are at about 40% which leaves me about 50% in excess and 10% for indispensables. I under bid a seperate commercial office on friday and got it, simply because she said they pay in 5 days of recieving an invoice and I put it in my contract and she signed that clause. So I get less money than I wanted but I get cash flow in return and I make a little money as well. Another property I just picked up wanted me to start this morning but he failed to get me my signed contract so I told him I would have to pass until then. He drove 98 miles from his office to mine and hand delivered a signed contract to me. If they havent got back to you by now, then I would assume they are looking elsewhere, somewhere with a simple 30 day in/out.
  6. Ijustwantausername

    Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,613

    I agree with Azlawnman, I would do maybe a monthly contract, but make sure you have a contract. Bill monthly too. Just what I would do.
  7. Smallaxe

    Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,082

    Does the business like you? do you like the business enough to do what makes him happy for the money you charge?

    I always get a kick out of people who go on blind dates, then blame the other party for being a dud... :laugh:

    I wouldn't sign a 2 year contract with anyone , that I may walk away from tomorrow... AND, the odds are I would walk away rather than put up with certain lcos that frustrate me...
  8. GravelyWoman

    GravelyWoman LawnSite Member
    Messages: 75

    I really do appreciate the feedback! You guys are "spot on." I have already removed them from my work schedule this week and I am "moving on...."!!!! It really helps having a place to kind of "vent" the issues and frustrations and receive great feedback!!

  9. Golfpro21

    Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 563

    i agree with the others, no two year contract.......for your sake also....what if they signed and then you start the work and it is not what you thought...if its more work and costs than you figured, your on the line for 2 years.

    But I would not start any commercial job without a signed contract.....more for liability reasons....these companies all have lawyers on stand by...and these lawyers are all hungry for cases........cover your butt

Share This Page