• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

need advice

edhuffman777

LawnSite Member
this is my 3rd year in the business now, but i have came across something new to me, i just picked up a residental account that has recently had new grass put in there yard and there is still alot of hay(straw), but the grass definately needs cut in some places, so do i just go over the grass and straw like i would cut a regular yard about 2 1/2 inches or should i mow it higher or does it even matter? but like i was saying some of the yard isnt that high but some of it is probably 8 or 9 inches high, but the whole yard is covered in straw. thanks

bohiaa

LawnSite Fanatic
I've seen people use straw as a mulch and for some reason to hold down seed's...

out here in the sticks we see it a lot. I have mowed over it and it will pick up some of it and throw it then there's bare soil.....most of the time when I see it I allways ask... why the straw....

I think on this one your gonna have to call them...

also strawberries grow in straw. But I wouldn't think they would be doing that in a non sectioned part of ther lawn.