• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Need advice

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
Also new head gaskets shouldn't cost much. If you can do the work yourself it will make a great backup machine if you don't already have one.
I would hesitate to put lots of money into it.

OP
W

williams lcm

LawnSite Bronze Member
You would hesitate on putting money into it? It a z950. Suspension seat been broke on it. Suspension part don't work and seat leans a bit. Jd wants 700 for new seat and would bring total to over 3k. Mod deck can only be open by hand. So not sure to invest into it. Waiting on dealer to see what new one would cost

Wobbles

LawnSite Member
Its 7 years old and has 2300 hrs on it and needs $2300 worth of work to get it running again. and even then, you'll probably have other parts giving up shortly after. Easiest decision of your life..

Sell it for parts or take it to a metal recycle. Definitely not worth the hassle to do anything else with it.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
It's easy for others to spend your money for you. Common sense says spend the money and fix it up. You'll be into it and have it all fixed for far less than a new mower. Fix the deck or replace the shell. Replace the spindles if needed. Replace the engine or fix it etc. May not look like a new mower, but so what? If it cuts cleanly and correctly, that's what matters. There's only so many things to actually e concerned about and if you fix or replace all of that, you should be good for several more years and you won't have a payment or be out the well over 10K in cash.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
You would hesitate on putting money into it? It a z950. Suspension seat been broke on it. Suspension part don't work and seat leans a bit. Jd wants 700 for new seat and would bring total to over 3k. Mod deck can only be open by hand. So not sure to invest into it. Waiting on dealer to see what new one would cost
No I didn't say:
(I would hesitate to put money into it.)
I said:
(I would hesitate to put A LOT of money into it)

Wobbles

LawnSite Member
How much could you sell it for if you had it all fixed up with a brand new engine? That’s honestly the only question that will answer if it’s worth doing or not. If it’s break even or less. Then chuck it, if you’re going to make profit, then do that.

fixing the existing engine isn’t worth it, any potential buyer is going to run for the hills when you say 2300hrs. Although if it’s got a brand new engine. It should be a lot easier to sell.

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
How much could you sell it for if you had it all fixed up with a brand new engine? That’s honestly the only question that will answer if it’s worth doing or not. If it’s break even or less. Then chuck it, if you’re going to make profit, then do that.

fixing the existing engine isn’t worth it, any potential buyer is going to run for the hills when you say 2300hrs. Although if it’s got a brand new engine. It should be a lot easier to sell.
Personally, for me a new engine is a turn off. I think If they show that the original is in good working order than it isn’t bad.