Need Big Tex trailer axle - any idea how much $ to replace?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Derwood, May 15, 2018.

1. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Senior Member

You all have been very helpful - thank you!

Thinking maybe I should do the springs too.

2. Derwood

I'm gonna do the leaf spring I think.

Dawson likes this.
  3. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably a good idea, especially if they're the original springs on the trailer. Go ahead and replace the hangers, hanger bolts and the nylon bushing inserts as well while you're at it (although the Springs should come with bushings).... Those are cheap and need replacement every now and then.

4. Derwood

Uodate: $465 !!

Springs were $110
    Axle: $133
    Spring leaf seat: $10
    Hub cups and studs: $106
    U-bokts: $25
    Bearings $22
    Other part of bearing: $20

Couple other shop and labor charges too.

5. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Depending where and how you set up your mowers the truck is also carrying weight. like 400 or so.

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  6. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

Well you're right at you're limit. Also keep in mind if you're cruising down the highway and hit a pot hole the effects of the entire trailer bouncing up and down on your axle could cause all kinds of issues. You could have a blow out and lose control. Keep in mind you have $15k to $20k in equipment so why not sell your trailer and get a tandem 3500lb with a single axle brake and grease zerks? It might cost $1500 or so if you take into account selling your existing trailer. That's what I would do and have done.

Mdirrigation likes this.
  7. Derwood

Well I got my trailer back today. All he wanted was a 30 pack of Miller lite for putting everything together for me. I gave him a 150 bucks cash too.

I was nervous towing all my gear around today lol... but it seems like it's doing OK. I think I will roll with this trailer for a while and if something comes up that is bigger and heavier duty I may move on it.