1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need Commercial 48 inch mower belt drive

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sbernab, Jun 7, 2002.

1. sbernab

sbernab LawnSite Member

I am a recent new house buyer who has almost 2 acres. My Simplicity tractor just doesn't cut it.

I'm looking for thoughts on Husqvarnas, Exmarks, and Ferris 48 inch belt driven models. They all seem real similar but I haven't seen too many Husky or Ferris mowers on commercial trailers so I hesitate. Lots of Scags but might be overkill for 1 hour of use a week. Thanks

2. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

sbernab

I recently started a part time commercial lawn service, I was lucky enough to find a 1 year old Exmark Metro HP 48'' cut in excellent condition. I will say this is the best cutting mower I have ever used. And I have used a number of them from MTD, Crapsman, John Deere, Honda, etc. The mower was set up to mulch when I got it and did an excellent job. I just changed it over to side discharge and it still does an excellent job. Also you will not find better customer service than Ex-mark, if you have any questions about Ex-mark post them on their board on this site. Good luck

3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Sbernab, I was in a similar situation. Here is the link to my post on what I researched and my final decision. In a nutshell, I wanted to find a mower in the 3k range that I would have no issues reselling when I decide to get rid of it. I ended up with a Gravely 1548, belt drive, floating deck with a 15hp Kawi. I have no regrets as this machine does a beautiful job and is built like a tank. Good luck with your decision.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29862

4. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a SCAG 48 belt drive and love it. It's got the 14 Kawisaki on it and I run double blades and cut in 4th gear with a velke at all times. I never have to double cut unless the grass is over two weeks tall. I can't believe I cut grass in high school for spending money using a MTD lawn tractor when this thing used cost the same cash and twice the time. Unbelievable.

Seriously. for homeowner use any commercial unit will work fine. You can learn a lot by searching the Commercial Forum but those guys use theirs more in a week than we will all year. Basically it all comes down to having a dealer you trust and finding a machine that works well for your habits/taste/style.

Simplicity and durability is something I valued and I found it in SCAG. Nothing to complicated about levers and pistol grips once you sit down and look at it.

Good Luck...

-Jeff-

5. dwost

here is a shot after I finished my yard last night with the 48" Gravely.

6. dwost

One more