need expierenced advice exmark lazer z e series or john deere 900 series

moloss

LawnSite Member
as the subject reads.....I am a farm owner not a commerical landscaper so I need direction in which is the better mower for the money.....both dealerships are good..... the exmark has a 27 hp kohler and 60in deck the 910has a 22 kawa and a 54 in deck the 920 has a 26hp kawa and 60 in deck......is there any real difference in the realibility of the motors or the quality of the cut? what about overall reliability of each brand...I can get the exmark with a suspension seat for a little more than the 910 with no suspension seat and the 920 is about $500 dollars more than the exmark but without the suspension seat.....I noticed that the exmark has smaller tires, does that matter while cutting along rough ground? one last thing does one hold the side of a hill better than the other? any and all suggestions are appreciated, thank you Chris.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i guess either one is a good mower but i have the z920a 54" with 26hp kawi engine. i really like it. it holds hills really well. i wouldn't get the 60" deck on the 920 though. you need more hp for the bigger deck. i wouldn't get a 54" deck on the 910 either. if you get the 910 go with a 48" deck, 920 go with 54" deck, and if you want 60" deck get a 930 or higher.

if you really want a 60" or 61" deck i would get a scag cheetah 61" deck with 31hp kawi, 32hp vanguard, or 34hp kohler engine. it will be cheaper than a john deere or exmark with 60" deck and 31hp+ engine.

OP
M

moloss

LawnSite Member
thank you for the response.....how long have you had your 920a? do you have the suspension seat? how does it compare to other ztr's you've owned?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
i guess either one is a good mower but i have the z920a 54" with 26hp kawi engine. i really like it. it holds hills really well. i wouldn't get the 60" deck on the 920 though. you need more hp for the bigger deck. i wouldn't get a 54" deck on the 910 either. if you get the 910 go with a 48" deck, 920 go with 54" deck, and if you want 60" deck get a 930 or higher.

if you really want a 60" or 61" deck i would get a scag cheetah 61" deck with 31hp kawi, 32hp vanguard, or 34hp kohler engine. it will be cheaper than a john deere or exmark with 60" deck and 31hp+ engine.

Not here they ain't. My 2012 Z950 cost the same exact price as the 2012 TT or the Cheetah. Mine was a few bucks more because I got the MOD deck.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
thank you for the response.....how long have you had your 920a? do you have the suspension seat? how does it compare to other ztr's you've owned?
i've had it since spring of last year so i've put a full season on it. it was my first commercial mower though. i worked for another company years ago and we used walkers. i like it much better than walkers. i don't have the suspension seat and it's not a problem for me. it would be nice to have though on bumpier yards.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
[/B]

Not here they ain't. My 2012 Z950 cost the same exact price as the 2012 TT or the Cheetah. Mine was a few bucks more because I got the MOD deck.
i guess i said that kinda wrong. :laugh: a z950a here with a 60" deck is around the same price as the TT and cheetah. it comes with 31hp kawi engine. the z960a with 34hp kawi engine is more expensive. like over $11k prolly close to $12k where as the cheetah with 34hp kohler is $10,500.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
i guess i said that kinda wrong. :laugh: a z950a here with a 60" deck is around the same price as the TT and cheetah. it comes with 31hp kawi engine. the z960a with 34hp kawi engine is more expensive. like over $11k prolly close to $12k where as the cheetah with 34hp kohler is $10,500.
The Cheetah here is $10K with the 61"/32 BB engine, which is a close match for the 950, and the TT has the 35 BB in it.

I like the 950 though, and it has some features that the Scags didn't so I went with it, but believe me, I was going back and forth for weeks on which one to buy.:dizzy: