Need for a professional timber faller?

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by MacTimber, Jun 8, 2018.

1. MacTimber

MacTimber LawnSite Member

Hi all, Im new here. Basically im considering starting a side gig as a professional timber faller and was wondering if there was a need for such for a service among landscaping and lawns companies.

Now Im not Joe Schmoe with a chainsaw. Im an experienced faller with pro-grade saws, insurance, and ability to directionally fall timber. Im not a tree company, im much less expensive ($40/hr, 3hr min, clock starts when i start sawing, no travel or hidden fees).

The reason im asking here is that this would be a side hustle and im trying to do some market research. Im a career wildland firefighter and want to make money of my skillset during my off season and free time. Im not a tree climber or trying to start my own forestry business. I want to cut trees for what I think Im worth (based on my govt saw qualifications and hourly rates in the logging industry).

Does this sound like a service youd be interested it?

hort101 likes this.
  2. Neighbor-kid

Neighbor-kid LawnSite Member

Hell yea brother, as a former wildland fighter I'm stoked to see you out here hustlin'!

That being said, I'm now a professional climber and I think what you're after is a hard (but do-able) sell! My advice would be to go talk to landscaping companies directly and sell them on your experience, give them your cards, etc and let them know about your skills/costs and they may keep you in mind if they have jobs involving an open drop zone just to clear an area. My brother is a designer for a local landscape company and he recently threw me a job to dump and leave ~100 ponderosas. EASY MONEY!

Man what I wouldn't give to have ONE other person on my crew with govt sawyer training....they (the morons I work with) really are a bunch of morons..lift with your legs, not your back and keep one foot in the black brother. Be safe!