1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Need help before Monday!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Jun 29, 2001.

  1. mowerman90

    mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,491

    OK guys, here's the situation: a local bloodbank needs to find a new lawn service company and I was reffered to them. I meet with the branch manager and we discuss the specific problems at their site and I submit my contract for approval. The branch mang. tells me she has been authorized to sign the contract and I go up there and have a sitdown with her and we sign the contract (on Wednesday) and everything is good. I'm supposed to start maintaining this place on Monday. I get home this afternoon and the phone rings and Mr. Corporate Pencil Pusher from their corporate office tells me that 1. The branch manager was not authorized to sign. 2. They need to reword the terms (my terms were "statement will be mailed at end of month, payment due upon receipt with 15 day grace period"). They want 30 days net.

    I understand the 30 days net (meaning I'll have to wait almost 2 months from the first cut to get paid). But my problem is that they want me to go ahead and cut starting July 1st without a valid contract and wait up to 2 weeks until they can get back to me with wording and terms that agree with their corporate lawyers and accountants. I'm not sure I want to wait. I'm not even sure I want to even get involved anymore with this company. Oh, buy the way, the branch manager is off today, so I can't even talk to her about this.

    What should I do come Monday morning????:confused:
  2. Fantasy Lawns

    Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,912

    "Net 30 days" is a credit term which means the net amount of the invoice is due 30 days after the invoice date ...so if invoice is sent to be recieved say ....July 1st payment is to be in your office by August 1st ...not so bad ....we bill on the 1st due on the 20th ...some commericals we have 30/n ....and on our largest we bill bi monthly ....1st due on 15th & then the 15th due on 30 ...

    ANY contract can be broken ....someone may pay fore it ... all the have to say is "they didn't weed wack to good or blow this or trim that" .... Yes I have contracts with ALL my Commercial .... but that does not ensure I'll keep the job ....the service does that on our side ...n them paying good & on time from their side

    as far as the account ....with out "contract" ...your going to here this that ...be this way ..... do that ...... just go cut the property Monday ....you have a verbal with the bean counter....n a written with the branch manager ....whom is an officer of the company so it would hold in court as far as payment issues ....get the "new contract" on the 15th and be happy with a new account ....if problems occur by 1st billing (won't pay).....drop her n get a lien ....good luck ;->
  3. Lawn Dog2001

    Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,030

    First off, you need to decide if you want the account or not. If you really want the account then being flexible with your terms should not be a problem. But it dosen't really sound like you care either way. If thats the case, then tell them those are your terms, the contact has been agreed to and signed, and you will not service they're property until you are reassured that the original terms have been agreed to. This kind of problem right off the bat with a new account would make me nervous about the future with them. It might be worth it to you to find out what company serviced them before, and ask them a few questions about any problems they had with these people.
  4. Fine Lines Lawn

    Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 447

    yeah, what Steve said.
  5. Charles

    Charles Moderator Staff Member
    Messages: 8,822

    What they said and leave them an bill each time you cut so there will be a written record of your work.
  6. mowerman90

    mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,491

    Thanks for the quick responses guys. I've got the weekend to think this over. This is one of the reasons I don't go after more commercial work. All my residentials pay me "in advance" for the month and are under a 12 month contract which keeps my cash flow the same winter and summer. Since this property isn't a "gem" to begin with I may just pass on it.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

    Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,912

    that's always a final kicker .....the over-all job site in the first place ...may be hard on you n equip .....or not the best place to be seen working on :->
  8. Freetime

    Freetime LawnSite Member
    Messages: 112

    Down the road with them, stick with the residential accounts and leave the commercial wasteland to some one else. You are not Burger King and should not allow a bean counter to dictate terms of the contract.

    (my opinion)

    Lady is probably fighting with corporate so and so to have the work done, so she says “well I will do it anyway” calls you and it’s “lets make a deal” without any power behind her.

    What happened to the last company?

    How far out is the lawn 2,3,6 weeks?

    Sorry, commercial is to iffy with minimal return (in some cases)
  9. Since they already broke one contract these people have no credibility.

    If it's just a little job walk away before they get a chance to
    get in your pocket.

    I would not sign the customer’s contract unless we are talking
    $1k+ per month revenue.
  10. geogunn

    geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN
    Messages: 3,010

    I say for what you have to lose vs. the potential that things will work out, you should go for it.

    if it doesn't work out, cut 'em loose and march on. 'till then, do the job, the checks will start showing up in the agreed time. good luck.


Share This Page