Need help bidding first job

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Layten13, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Layten13

Layten13 LawnSite Member

I have been subbing out for 3 years . Now I'm trying to branch off but didnt realize how many things you have to bid. So I'm going to be one of those guys who ask for help bidding his job. It's not for a lack of trying I've been looking stuff up for weeks and trying as much as possible . I just need help on one then I'll break it down for the others. I truly appreciate the knowledge and help. Dont need irrigation prices. I live in Kansas. Just got my business pesticide liscens. There is like 20 spots for fertilizing idk what you can do at the same time as far as shrubs and bushes to save time from going back 10 times . I'll attach the sheet and info . Thanks again . I know I need to break it down to what I have to make but that's not going to help if I dont get any of the jobs . I feel like I'm under on some and over on some .

Grass 1.80 ac 750000sqft.
    Mulch beds . 7 yrds. 9 man hrs.
    Fall clean up 12 man hrs
    Trim shrubs. 9 man hrs
    Man hr to fert shrubs and beds . 2 man hr
    Parkinglot 1.44 ac
    Sidewalks 4956 sqft.

Bid list

Mow and trim x30
    Spring fall clean up x2-3
    Aerate and seed x1
    Turf weed and fert x5
    Turf grub x1
    Grassy weed app x1
    Shrub oil x1
    Shrub insecticide x2
    Shrub fert x1
    Top dress mulch beds x1
    Bed pre emergent x1
    Plant inspection weed beds x14
    Prue shrubs x3
    Perennial cleanup x
    Limb up tree x1
    Hard surface spray x7
    Seasonal color

Snow
    1-3"
    3-6"
    6-10"
    Salting lot
    Salt clear sidewalk

2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

3. Layten13

Layten13 LawnSite Member

That's very true. I dont want to bid anything for $50 when everyone else is getting $150. I have like 10 jobs to bid I just need help on this one and I'll figure out where I should be. .

4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have the knowledge and skill to charge what everyone else is charging? See that’s the real question. If you don’t have the skillset and/or knowledge to charge $150 then why should you be allowed to charge $150?

That’s what gets me riled up. Some dude just walks over and hacks up some bushes then sprays whatever chemicals he can get from Lowes down and wants to charge what I charge. That is what ruins the industry. If you don’t know what your doing, do it as a learning experience. You don’t get top dollar for lesrning experiences.

dieselss likes this.
  5. Layten13

Layten13 LawnSite Member

I feel like I do I'm going on my 4th year doing commercial properties ,mowing, fertilizing, shrub pruning...ect. it's just always been subbed out. I know what I'm getting but idk what they are charging. . We arnt doing small commercial properties we are doing those massive warehouses made of concrete that they put together in sections. My know how is there but my bidding is not . I've already bid this job out I just want to see if I'm in the neighborhood and not to low or high . I can post my own prices if that will help

6. dieselss

from NWI....

Your your just a national then?

7. Layten13

Layten13 LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what you mean

8. dieselss

from NWI....

An all in one maintaince company.
    You get jobs, then just sub then out for 1/2 of what there worth.

9. Layten13

Layten13 LawnSite Member

No they are subbing Jobs to me keeping half the money! That's what I'm trying to get away from .

10. Layten13

Layten13 LawnSite Member

These guys bid everything from mowing concrete decks you name it. Then keep half the money and give the rest to other companys . I'm currently doing snow removal for them and the last storm i should have made double what i did. I just want my own properties. I know what I'm doing and have everything I need I just dont know how to bid all the diff categories. I dont want to get jobs because I'm cheaper and miss out on money. I know what kinda job my crew does.. we have never had a single call back on anything.