Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer who has a palm tree about 4' tall and 36-40" around. I am just entering my second year in this business, and have never done anything like this. I could really use some help with this. I don't really know what to do.

·
Lawnsite Addict
1,625 Posts
4' tall? If I remember right for palms all that is needed is a ball of dirt twice the dia. of the trunk so ...... look in the yellow pages for a tree spade company that can ove it for you.

----------
paul

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
A local nursery should be able to help you, or point you in the right direction. Just add sufficient markup to cover any aggravation.

Bill

----------
"...half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair." R.L.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Go to http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/ and look for the forum there. I'm an arborist in the pacific north west and would love to give you some advice but have absolutly no experience with palms. I'm interested in the if it's 4ft tall you need a root ball twice as wide. The general rule that I have learned is that you need 9" of root ball for every inch of dia at the butt of the tree. Again I say I have never dealt with palm(they won't grow here).
Hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
We removed one one time. We did it with an ax and chainsaw. It took us 2 hrs because the the roots on a palm were so thick. I would advise you find someone that knows what they are doing and has the right equipment or you probly will destroy the palm.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Everyone over here seems to have a major
palm tree fetish.:) Personally I find them
to be an absolute pain in the a$$.Rip it out
and drop it in a tub/bio grinder.Palm trees
can make good mulch.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should find contract diggers that work in your area. They should be able to dig that palm in about 2 hours. Then just load the palm on your truck. Make sure you measure the palm tree ball after you dig the hole to make sure it fits.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
A CUT ABOVE:
What you do is stay the (*^@ away from the job! Your risk of the thing dying and losing the customer far outweighs your potential $ made.

All lawn maintenance guys should foster a relationship with a tree service co. for this very thing. Refer work back and forth.

I don't know Palms, but I know I'd never transplant a 12" caliper tree w/o a tree spade.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I live a little higher up than yourself and Bill Gates fireball. I'm in B.C. in the Fraser Valley. Even If Bill wanted to try up here he would fail. In Victoria they do grow however.
You'll have to excuse me lazer but I never noticed where it said it was a tree with a 12" caliper?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.