1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

need help finding new mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by brangus, Apr 17, 2012.

1. brangus

brangus LawnSite Member

My 30 year old JD riding lawn mower's engine finally gave in and I need a new mower. I mow around a couple of houses, barns and through a vineyard. Some bermuda and a lot of tall weeds and such.

First I would like to be efficient as possible mowing around 3-5 acres a week (this time of year) and have lots of ins and outs where a zero turn mower would be nice but I am not sure how well these do in tall grass scenarios since I have never operated one. The area being mowed is fairly clean (having been mowed for years) but there are some hidden pecan limbs and a few rocks always hiding under cover.

I believe the JD 212 that finally gave in on me cost over 3k in 1983 and now I am amazed at how cheap a lot of the riding lawn mowers go for these days. Are the ones in front of Lowes and Home Depot total POS's or what.

I would like something efficient and durable that doesn't break the bank. Trying to spend under 5k. Tks

2. Jbh0724

Jbh0724 LawnSite Member

I would reccommend increasing your budget a bit to 8k and get a 52" ferris. Great ride, durable, powerful enough to cut through weeds. It should last you a long time
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

Husquvarna MZ6128 lists for 5200.00, usually sells cheaper, and is a
    hoss, will definetly cut your time down. I have the same problem as you
    described, high weeds some areas and a nice lawn, about 3.5 acres total.

4. ommegang

ommegang LawnSite Member

If you get a ZTR, demo them on your property if possible. Most all non-commercial are very bad rides. Ferris IS1500 is what I got for our 3 arces and some additional properties. My dealer has one now for $6500 or $6800. Otherwise, 0% for 3 years on new now. Scag may still have 0 for 4. You better demo a ZTR first. They are not exactly like riding a tractor. If comfortable, let us know what your looking at for opinions. Go to a dealer with many brands and options.