1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Need help from the pro's...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Ebanks, May 1, 2007.

1. Ebanks

Ebanks LawnSite Member

I figured I would ask this in a forum where the pros actually read/post... If this needs to be moved or it is inappropriate for me to ask this question here please let me know.

Here are some pics and down below I will describe what I would like to have done... The vantage point is off our deck on the back of our house. There is a house under construction next door so don't mind the trash as the builder should clear that out when they are done (if they don't want me to call the city and report them for illegal dumping).

My back yard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yard a couple houses down:

[​IMG]

Next door neighbors yard:

[​IMG]

Okay, if you can see a couple houses down in that one pic they have a retaining wall built around the back side of their yard with the yard leveled out. What I would like to have done is have my yard leveled out across the back where you can see it starts sloping fairly quickly (it sucks mowing this). I would like to have all that nasty brush cleared out back there in that area and build a retaining wall to hold the leveled yard in place. The reason I posted a picture of my next door neighbors yard is just to show what I would like to retaining wall to be built out of (whatever those stones they have around their large tree is).

I would imagine this wouldn't be cheap, but I didn't know.

What do you think a project like this would cost and how do I find a competent contractor to carry something like this out?

Thanks!

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

how long and how high does the wall need to be?

3. Ebanks

Ebanks LawnSite Member

It's about 65 ft long and would be anywhere from probably 6-10ft high depending on which part of the wall.

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Designing the wall isn't the hard part. What type of access do you have from the road? A contractor will need to bring in many tandems of fill, or a front end loader/skid steer to haul it back there, along with the block and stone. This is where your cost is at.

5. Ebanks

Ebanks LawnSite Member

It's probably 100-125ft from the road in front of the house and there is maybe 15-20 ft between homes. There are no power lines, etc. to deal with.

6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

your in the area of 24-28 thousand.

make sure whoever installs it gets the walls engineered because of the height and follows the design from the engineer. A wall that tall on the cheap could be a disaster.

7. Ebanks

Ebanks LawnSite Member

That's what I was afraid of.. I guess I will wait until next spring to do it as I will have to save some money for that kind of budget!

Thanks guys!

-Ethan