1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need help...fuel getting into crankcase on Kawa 17HP VTwin

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by appalachianoutdoors, Nov 18, 2017.

1. appalachianoutdoors

appalachianoutdoors LawnSite Senior Member

Like title states, got a Exmark WB w/ 17HP V Twin - recoil start - hydro - 1000 hours - well taken care of. Ok, here goes..noticed oil like dripping out where muffler connects to exhaust..pulled oil plug, small like gas, drained and was very thin. Cleaned carb very well, put together, ran great one week. Now today, exact same thing. I suggest fuel making it past fuel pump or carb into crankcase case. Can I just replace jet and float in carb..is fuel pump serviceable?? Thanks for any help.

hort101 likes this.
  2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

hort101 likes this.
  3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Don’t know what model you have. Some of the newer carbs use an o-ring style bowl gasket and also other o-rings to seal the body. If you reused them, and everyone thinks they can, they can leak and give the same symptom. As fish states, it could be the pump. You should not have any fuel at the impulse port of the pump.

4. appalachianoutdoors

appalachianoutdoors LawnSite Senior Member

My engine is a FH541V 17HP.

5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

I would imagine that has a simple single bore carb. There’s about 100 variations of that model.
    If it is a single bore, it will not have the plastic module in the body I’m referring to.
    Disregard my post.