Need help in bidding townhouses

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Javier713, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Javier713

Javier713 LawnSite Member

I’m new at this, I just started my own company this past October and I need help in bidding for lawn service to some townhouse community. At first they said they will start me with 30 houses FRONT ONLY but when the community is done I would be mowing 175 houses total. FRONT only unless they are vacant I will do the back yard. They have a small yard. How should I charge?

Lone Mower likes this.
  2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Depends on where you are located? How long will it take you on each property? What will it include? Edging? Weed control in beds? Shrubs?......

3. OP
    OP
    Javier713

Just edging, mowing and blowing. I’m thinking 2.5 hrs 3 guys

4. OP
    OP
    Javier713

5-7 minutes each house

5. Lone Mower

Lone Mower LawnSite Member

That sounds great! I'm also a new guy and how did you find out about the work?

6. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Get something in the contract about a contact person in the HOA/community council being the ONLY person that can speak to you and every property will be taken care of the exact same way.

I have never bid one and never will, but I mowed one with my mentor and EVERY single homeowner will come out and want to change something, you're going to have 175 people interrupting work, asking questions, wasting time if you don't do this......The one we mowed was more of a retirement community without being one...there were young people living there, but most were retired people...."I want my lawn mowed this height", "don't do this anymore", don't do that anymore" "Do this from now on", do that from now on"....blah blah blah. Boss finally had to call and get an addendum to the contract for this and request a memo to be sent out to everyone asking them to contact Mr. Smith of the HOA with any mowing service questions and concerns and to not contact the mowing company directly as their time is valuable and can't be stopped 50 times per visit. ..... it worked. Occasionally some moron would come out and say "I know i'm not supposed to bother you, but since you're not being stopped a lot anymore I figured it was ok"....."Nope, contact Mr. Smith, thank you."

Javier713, Mark Stark and hal like this.
  7. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Do the math, 10/cut you bid at 300/week, 20/cut you bid 600/week. Do you know your expenses?

8. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

If you figure mowing will take you 5 man hours, figure out what your hourly is and add 10% then divide by the number of units to get the per unit price. We do an hoa, about 4k sqft per house and charge about $15 each, but there are 80 and it takes about 3/4 of a day plus we maintain the flowerbeds for additional. another HOA I have is about $20 each, but they're bigger lawns and less trimming.

Just to clarify, my minimum is $40, but on a bulk contract I would never get that price per unit, I make more on the larger contract but we don't have to move around as much. If it were individual homes hiring me I would be charging that for the same unit.

Javier713 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Javier713

A friend referred me to them. I started by doing some rental homes that were vacant, than the same company started to build this community and I was told to give them a bid for the property

Lone Mower likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Javier713

That’s a great advice and will be sure to bring that up. Thank you