1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Need help on engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by just_some_dude, Aug 3, 2010.

  1. just_some_dude

    just_some_dude LawnSite Member
    Messages: 20

    I imagine at this point everyone wants to know your thought ;).
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. bc3xx0

    bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 304

    Loosen up both rockers and check leakdown.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. Restrorob

    Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,029

    Ditto ^^^^^ Tear down inspection would tell all.......
  4. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    Well I'll tell you but I don't know what to make of it because it's evidently past
    the point where I know what I speak of, I was thinking collapsed valve but after
    doing a search it appears it is instead the lifters that collapse.

    Oh crap, wait!

    The lifter is that spring thing, the piece that the push rod pushes up against would be the rocker arm?

    See man :laugh:

    Let me go see if I can find a diagram of this mess.
  5. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    Yeah all right, one more time...

    That thing the push rod keeps popping out from under would be the rocker (or rocker arm)
    and on the other end that spring thing is the lifter, then below that would be the valve.

    I think I got it right this time.
    Best I could find in terms of a diagram is this automotive VTEC which, well:

  6. BigFish

    BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,156

    At the bottom end of the pushrod is the LIFTER or TAPPET which in Kaw engines is usually solid as opposed to Kohler which uses hydraulic LIFTERS.
    The LIFTER acts on the PUSHROD which in turn acts on the ROCKER ARM which acts on the VALVE to open it.
    So, your pushrod keeps popping out from under the ROCKER ARM.
  7. BigFish

    BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,156

    WRONG !!!!!
    And what the fluck does that picture have to do with a pushrod operated motor, it's not even close!
    18,000 plus posts and that's the best you can come up with?????????
    Truly, you should leave it to the experts!!!! LOL
  8. BigFish

    BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,156

    Good idea!!!!!
  9. laman

    laman LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 351

    This is definitely not a push rod motor. A push rod motor has a lifter on camshaft that pushes up to open the valve and the down to close the valve.
  10. mowerknower

    mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 766

    This engine defintely has pushrods. It lso has tappets (lifters). Look at the picture, the part that popped out is a pushrod. People, if you do not know what you are talking about, please do not post. It is confusing the guy even more.
    My advice to Just some Dude is take it in to a reputable service shop. It appears that you are in over your head on this one.

Share This Page