1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need help on job Bid (Numbers Given)

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by oak branch, Dec 6, 2017.

1. oak branch

oak branch LawnSite Member

Good morning,

I am bidding on maintaining the weeds in mulch beds at a local park. I am licensed to apply weed control before anyone asks. The mulch beds will be mulched in March with 120 yards of mulch right around 160 trees. I am in charge of applying pre-emergent and weed control to the beds Six times a year. Yes I am shocked at that number.

I am going to be using produece 2 times in the spring. Before mulch goes down and 1 app after mulch. Then using Ranger the rest of the year for spot treatment.

Material cost will be right around $150.00 for the year.

What I am not sure is how long will this application take to apply. I will be using backpack sprayer, filling up with a water tank on my truck.

In your opinion how long will something like this take, I will be applying it solo. I have 2 numbers in mind, one using time plus material and one based on sq feet, but the 2 numbers I came up with are about $200 dollars apart. I am thinking the time I used was alot longer than it would actually take me. I put it at about 6 hours shooting for $65/hr.

Thank you

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

I always go with the higher number on bids. But I'm also not trying to land every bid I take.

If you want the work go with your lower number.

Backpacking 160 trees is going to take some time. You should factor in all the back and forth for refilling. I would have a couple backpacks prefilled for easy swap out.

RDALawns and North Idaho Dream like this.
  3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I would calibrate you application equipment so you know volume and charge by 1000 sqft like a lawn.

You know 120 yds of mulch at maybe 2” deep.

4. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I have a job that i spray around about 200 lights and sings that i can do in a couple hours. but i use my rideon to circle each one. You know that you need to put the pre down before the mulch and you wont need to do it 6 time 3 would be enough. i only do 2 most places so you get the winter weeds.

5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

If I were going this job I would figure one bag of snapshot applied in March and one in August and visit monthly to spot treat any break through. I would expect the monthly visits are basically taking a walk with your sprayer and hitting the few weeds that come up.

hort101, CHARLES CUE and ETM like this.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

How many sqft?
    Suppose you could do backpack 500 sqft per minute, and used half-gallon per thousand.
    Eight thousand sqft--then refill. Refills are slow, would take almost as long as the spraying. Little c is right. A pre-mx tank would be helpful.

Full coverage with the Produece is really a job for a skid sprayer. After that, spot spraying with glyphosate would work fine. Still about 1000 sqft per minute, though.

Labor at a dollar per minute, frequent refills. Plus the cost of chemicals, plus your stop charge to cover your overhead and drive time to the site.

Try to find out if they have any troublesome weed problems. Violets? Nutsedge? Quackgrass? Horseweed? Will there be a lot of flowers to work around?

7. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

This is what I would do.

hort101 likes this.
  8. oak branch

oak branch LawnSite Member

Good ideas, I will figure out what are there troublesome weeds. As far as sq ft it's 120 yards of mulch at 1 inch thickness. So about 38k square feet off the top of my head. (320ish sqft per yard of mulch)

Suppose I can do 500 sqft per minute thats 1hr 15 of actually spraying, walking back and worth across a park for a refill and about 5 refills let's say about an hour and a half for that. Alot of spring flowers add 30 minutes and fudge buffer of an hour. Just about 4 and a half hour job? Sounds about right?

Yes I will be putting the pre emergent down before mulch and follow up later again with the same product (produece) as it is a pre and post.

I want to go liquid, faster than granular and I believe it will be faster and cheaper.

9. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

Produece is just a prodiamine and glyphosate mix. Not sure on your costs for this product but both are relatively cheap to source and mix yourself. As a pre treat I would go straight prodiamine as the gly is useless unless weeds are present.

I've had better control with a prodiamine and gallery mix in my mulch beds then with just prodiamine alone.

ETM and hort101 like this.