Need help setting up employee with works comp and taxes legally

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by googles, Mar 18, 2004.

  1. googles

    googles LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 295

    Need help setting up employee with works comp and taxes legally. For example if an employee makes 6hr for 30 hours a week for a total of $180 a week. How do you figure out how much taxes come out of that and what taxes do I deduct from his salary? Do I have to worry about federal, social, and any other if any? What would $180 a week be after taxes? And what forms I do I have to fill out. I believe all I have to do is W4 form and works comp form but not sure. If it helps I’m from NY long island in Suffolk county. Please help! I am lost…..
  2. DiscoveryLawn

    DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 408

    googles, Have you considered using a payroll service? They are relatively inexpensive and is worth the time you save not to mention the piece of mind. We use our accountant now but have used the payroll company in the past.
  3. googles

    googles LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 295

    i wanted to learn and do it myself but how much was the payroll service and what does your account charge to do it.
  4. Flipperneck

    Flipperneck LawnSite Member
    Messages: 164

    Have you gone to the states website? or the irs website? I found alot of info on Jerseys tax info there.
  5. googles

    googles LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 295

    yea i checked out the websites but still lost thats why im looking for better understanding. its only my second year in business so i am having a hard time going legit. i went coporate this year and all that is fine but i may want to hire someone this year.
  6. Flipperneck

    Flipperneck LawnSite Member
    Messages: 164

    I wouldn't be afraid to pick up the phone and call around till you get the right people more specific answers then you would probably get on here. There's 2 things i don't mess around with 1 is taxes and the other is fat peoples food. Good Luck...
  7. James Cormier

    James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma
    Messages: 1,217

    You went coporate??? that means you incorporated your business right? What type of corporation are you? C,S or LLC

    If I m not mistaken if your any of these you would be doing this for yourself right?

    My advise is to hire a accountant and a payroll service.
    Your current insurance agent will set up your workmen's comp insurance program.

    Payroll services are cheap,
  8. mtnlawn

    mtnlawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 20

    The whole tax thing can definitely be a big ordeal if you don't do it right.The websites are out there,but they can be misleading or uninformative-Contact an accontant- they should be able to at least setyou upand get you rolling- this is money well spent!!!
  9. jajwrigh

    jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN
    Messages: 1,405

    Contact a lawyer and/or an accountant! Don't use guesswork when it comes to taxes and employees!
  10. googles

    googles LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 295

    one last question, what about subcontract ing someone. this way i dont have to worry about taxes and workers comp. i dont have many clients so paying lawyer and account will cost more then i make lol. would subcontracting a worker be a good way to go? thanks for all your input

Share This Page