1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

need help! weeds in lawn BIG TIME!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Field King, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Field King

Field King LawnSite Senior Member

I moved into a home last fall, to busy to mess with lawn with the move and all, this lawn is bluegrass and dandelion, crabgrass, I think creeping charlie? Lots of weeds, I am leasing and may not buy the home so I want to limit how much I spend to renovate lawn! Here is what I have done so far, I sprayed with weed b gone, I spread 12-12-12 to rejuvenate the dormant looking blugrass, the problem now is a lot of the weed/dandelions are dead but just laying dormant, I do not want to have to mow at 2" or less to cut them, will they rot away, been 10 days since weed spray?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

King,
    you are on the right track. Apply crabgrass control anytime in April. The weeds will rot away. But in a month or so--the summer weeds will come up. Spray again. Spray again in October. 12-12-12 is not the best for grass. Try to find 28-0-4 or something similar. Try to find a type that has 30 percent of the nitrogen in slow-release form, 50 percent would be better. If you don't have irrigation feed during rainy periods. Better yet hire a small experienced professional company--they will have proper equipment, deeper knowledge and experience, and access to chemicals that you cannot get.