1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with lawn revival - Newbie

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by picklerick, Jun 25, 2020.

1. picklerick

picklerick LawnSite Member
    from Denver

Hi there,

I am a newbie at lawn maintenance and need your suggestion to help revive the lawn. I have just been following the 3 days watering regime suggested by my water company. Need recommendations if I should use Revive or something else like fertilizer that will help bring the dead patches back to life. Or do I need to replace the entire lawn completely.

frontyard.jpeg

2. OP
    OP
    picklerick

from Denver

Hi there,

I am a newbie at lawn maintenance and need your suggestion to help revive the lawn. The landscaping company installed the new sod last month and I can see that they left gaps between the sods. I have been watering the lawn regularly but see a lot of dead patches where grass has turned straw. Need recommendation if I should use Revive or something else that will help bring the dead patches back to life. Or do I need to ask the installer to replace the entire lawn.

backyard.jpeg

3. FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Senior Member

Get the installer on the phone ASAP!

4. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

New sod needs way more water than people realize. How much have you been watering?

5. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

If its a fescue/KBG mix, you can only keep it alive in the heat with water, then overseed in fall, sometime in Sept, and fertilize at that time. Fertilize with preemergent next spring, and again keep it alive in summer with water.

I can't tell exactly what it is from this picture

6. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

Let me ask you something. What kind of soil situation do you have going on under the grass in that rock/pavement/concrete area ? I saw your other post and it doesn't look like that patch of grass was in a very plant friendly place either.

7. OP
    OP
    picklerick

from Denver

I showed the installer these gaps and he said that he will re-install fresh sod next week. I was watering 2 times everyday for 20-30 mins for the first 2 weeks. I can see that the areas that remain green had taken root but not the ones where the sod turned straw.

Do you think I should be watering more or use a product like RGS or Revive the next time they install the new sod or both.

8. OP
    OP
    picklerick

from Denver

I think it is KBG but will check with the installer next week about it. Thank you for the recommendations.

9. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

New sod needs to be basically drenched. Its almost impossible to overwater new sod. The water needs to soak through the sod and saturate the soil underneath. If watered properly it will be very spongy, to the point where you wouldn't want to walk on it.

Happy to hear you are getting new sod, definitely sounds like you need to up your watering way more.

Cam15 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    picklerick

from Denver

This lawn is in front of the house and the other one is on the east side of the house. This one was lush and green last fall when I moved into this house and the other one was installed last month. I have no idea regarding the soil situation going on but I remember getting this lawn aerated in Nov last year if that helps.