1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

need help with leaf loader

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnman456, Dec 29, 2007.

1. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

i was using my truck loader today and one of my fins on the Impeller broke and i need to buy a new one or try to get it welded. my question is how do you take the Impeller off. do you have to get a puller or is there some other trick?

i have a giant vac 10 or 12 hp tailgate mount.

thanks in advance for the hel

2. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

It will be bolted on the end of the crank. You will probably need a puller, especially if it has been on for a long time. Or you can just try to beat it off the old fashioned way with some heat and a hammer. Reinstall w/ anti-seize for future removal.

3. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

If you do pull it and have it welded, be aware that there is a balance factor in play. If they put a bunch of weld on one side this thing may shake it's way back off and cause crankshaft or other damage. If you go to a good welding/machine shop they should be able to balance it for you. If you go to a shop that does drive shafts they should be able to balance this also.

4. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

i was going to buy a new one. crack is pretty bad

5. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

I would buy a new impeller because it is critical that the balance be perfect and the spot welded will probably be a weak spot and may not hold. also the way I get something like that off is I use an air impact chisel with the point and put it on the shaft and pulse it a few times and while doing it pulling on the fan. It should come off and if not, maybe you can use a puller, but i think the air chisel will do it. Maybe heat it up a little if necessary but not too hot.