Wyatt-prout

LawnSite Member
Hey!! I’m new to this but im just wondering what mower you guys think I should get. Im 16, and I have a lawn care/odd jobs business. I mow about 17 lawns per week. But i’m looking to upgrade to a zero turn: side track- Long story short I had a ex mark lazer hp 52” cut I was using to mow, my friend had given it to me to keep since he was moving and all I had to do was give him my current mower (John deere l130) to give to the new owners. There ended up being a huge mix up and now i’m back with the john deere, I really loved the ex mark it cut great, never bogged. I do all my own maintenance and have a trailer with good truck, I mow a lot of residential lawns with a few commercial properties. I’ve got a ferris and gravely and simplicity dealer near me. My budget is about 4k-5.5k for a mower. Thank you!!

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Welcome aboard.

Get the machine with the biggest hydros you can afford, at least ZT 3200 minimum. Simplicity has many same features as Ferris for a lower price point. Suspension is a great option.

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
Simplicity has many same features as Ferris for a lower price point. Suspension is a great option.

What Younginblood meant to say was, Snapper and Ferris are the same company. Kind of like GMC and Chevrolet is a way to look at them. Simplicity is a different set of machines alltogether. I would not purchase a Simplicity for commercial use. All 3 companies are owned by Briggs and Stratton.

I'd tell you to go to each dealer and ask to demo machines in your price range. After that, go with your gut and the dealer you like the best.

On second thought, if you want a zero turn, in my opinion, if your dealer is good, go with the Ferris ISX800 and be done with it. Little more dough but a much better machine. If they have an ISX on the lot, it is the ending of the season starting now. Barter your way to a killer deal out the door on price. Get a loan(mom or pop co-sign?) and start your credit worthiness journey as young as you can.(or pay cash)

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
What Younginblood meant to say was, Snapper and Ferris are the same company. Kind of like GMC and Chevrolet is a way to look at them. Simplicity is a different set of machines alltogether. I would not purchase a Simplicity for commercial use. All 3 companies are owned by Briggs and Stratton.

I'd tell you to go to each dealer and ask to demo machines in your price range. After that, go with your gut and the dealer you like the best.

On second thought, if you want a zero turn, in my opinion, if your dealer is good, go with the Ferris ISX800 and be done with it. Little more dough but a much better machine. If they have an ISX on the lot, it is the ending of the season starting now. Barter your way to a killer deal out the door on price. Get a loan(mom or pop co-sign?) and start your credit worthiness journey as young as you can.(or pay cash)
Simplicity bought Feeris in 2000. Then was bought by Briggs later.
Screenshot_20210814-173038_Chrome.jpg

JohnD2

LawnSite Member
I know you're young and money is tight. But , if you can throw another $1k on a mower ,what you can get for $6500 over $5500 is significantly better.
3400 hydro gears and a FX691 or FS651 (both 22 hp), 48"-52" , can be had.

Last edited:

Top Forums