Need Help with my lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Navdeep Dhaliwal, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Navdeep Dhaliwal

Navdeep Dhaliwal LawnSite Member

Just called site one and they have bags of 50lbs and 10lbs. Should I mix 5lbs and keep rest 5lbs for next year ?

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I'd just put it all down
    If your lawns thin extra seed will help takes good amount for a thick resultThumbs Up

If you need more get fresh seed next year
    Any seed will work

I've used black beauty it worked out good

Walker56 and Babaganoosh like this.
  3. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Senior Member

Agree

hort101 likes this.
  4. Navdeep Dhaliwal

Thanks for the messages guys. I went ahead and got the seeds from OneSite. Will return black beauty seeds.

Components of the bags were as follow
    26% Compete TF
    26% Padre TF
    19% Align Perennial Ryegrass
    19% Renovate TF
    10% Shamrock KBG

He recommended me with "Clarus Pro Screamin Green" as I was not able to find milorganite nearby and was out of stock every place i checked. So, went ahead with it.

I can see grass germinating now. When can I mow the grass ? It does not need any mowing as of now as I cut it super short. Very hard to water the lawn with pipe and sprinkler heads moving around. Will probably have to add sprinkler system next year.

5. Babaganoosh

Don't mow it until the new stuff is about 3 inches. If however your current grass it overshadowing it a lot you will want to cut it to give it light. Use a push mower so you don't rip the new grass up.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Navdeep Dhaliwal

Cool Thanks. Other grass is fine as of now, maybe can get away with week or so. Fertilizer good ? or continue to use Milorganite ?

7. Navdeep Dhaliwal

Hi Baba, Should I fertilize my lawn again before the winters ? and what about spring pre-emergent to prevent weeds ? I have lawn company taking care of it, but thinking of saving some cash and do it on my own. They charges $80 per visit and use all organic stuff. How to take care of lawn properly. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

8. Babaganoosh

You probably want to hit it with some nitrogen before it gets too cold out but you want to to make sure the roots of the new grass get as deep as they can before you start encouraging top growth. Maybe use some starter fertilizer at half rate and then half rate again in 2 weeks.