• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

need help with time ... not price

yard_smart

LawnSite Senior Member
Guys I need help with the time of how long it would take a tech to spread 1k sq ft with a push spreader. I have my over head, cogs, and mark up ready to go but i am missing the hourly rate piece of the puzzle I'm thinking that a tech should be able to cover at least 10k in an hour that's with set up and everything included?

Thanks in advance...

OP
Y

yard_smart

LawnSite Senior Member
That would be with NO route density. Keep in mind that rate would lead to a higher than market average charge to the customer. Slopes and hills can triple the time required. Applicator productivity is the largest variable in the chem biz.
understandable, but my company as well as any is built on averages. When we mow one yard may be hardly any trimming but another may be all trimming.

I have two larger accounts and I need to figure out what the time period would look like. one is about 4 acres and the other is around 2 .... a couple of small rolling hills ...

upidstay

LawnSite Bronze Member
I can do 1000' in about a minute. Add in loading, unloading, clean up,and paperwork, and a 12k lawn (typical for around here) would take me about 20 minutes, tops. Obviously lots of obstacles, sidewalks to edge, hot customers louging by the pool in bikinis to oggle, chatty old ladies, etc., can all add time on.

wcheek

LawnSite Member
For a 5000sq ft yard, fill out invoice, put in door, flag the yard, load spreader, push entire yard with normal obstacles, load equipment and leave 15 min. I can use my z-spray and do 20,000sq ft lawn in about the same time.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Under ideal conditions...3 mph is 264 feet per minute (if 10 feet swath 2,640 sq ft per minute). To be realistic, allow about 5 min to fill out invoice, fill the spreader, insert flag and reload equipment. Allow about 1000 feet per minute. If refill is needed, allow about 5 min to get back to truck and refill spreader and go back to left-off point. An acre an hour is a good pace. Then an average of 3 minutes per mile to get to next house. If odometer shows he drove 50 miles--that is almost 150 min driving time per day.

Very helpful averages guys!! It also may be helpful to look at this as a question of average day long productivity. As mentioned, route density and scheduling is crucial to success. Windshield time is the killer!!! For myself we are built to average 24 - 8,ooo sf properties a day, that average or productivity factor is going to be different for everybody. But if you look at over a day long time frame you may get a better overall average when it comes down to SF pricing and averaging