1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help With Winterizing...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Even Cut Lawn Care, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I landed a new contract this year that requires I Maintain thier irrigation system. Until the beggining of the year I new very little about these systems but throughout the year I have been able to gain a little knowledge here and there. Its now getting close to cold weather and I have no clue as to the process I need to follow to winterize this system.

2. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Closing the water supply to the system is the first step. Second, locate the backflow and it should have a spot to drain it and hook up a compressor to. Third, blow and go to the next one.

Actually a little more info would be helpful like if this is a golf course, a 89 building condo complex with a 50hp pump or just a house down the street from you.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I would be nervous about taking this on..damage could run into the $$$$$$s.
    Hire a competent local (after you've checked to see if the system was EVER
    winterized with compressed air) It could have those crazed "auto drains",
    which will drive you (& their water bill) up the wall. Pay attention, it's not a
    big deal, but I don't think you've got the experience in hydraulics yet.:)

4. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Actually a little more info would be helpful like if this is a golf course, a 89 building condo complex with a 50hp pump or just a house down the street from you.[/QUOTE]

This is a bank that was built in 1975...it has a rainbird system that has an updated control box, it has four zones with 6-8 heads in each zone...