• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

need help with yard

KDLAWN

LawnSite Member
I have a yard that is full of weeds very little grass. here are my thoughts. wait til spring and fert as usualbut dont put down any pre-em and see how established I can get the grass to get this year.

My advice was lets roundup the whole yard and then lay sod. the owner does not want to sod just yet. she is wanting to see if we can establish the grass without sod.

does anyone have a better way or any tips to boost this lawn any faster.

I think we are dealing with bermuda grass. hard to tell since the grass is so thin.

thanks for the help

mow2nd

LawnSite Senior Member
You can treat the weeds come spring, put down some fertilizer and crabgrass controls. If you get to August and are not liking what you see then would be the ideal time to Round up so that in the fall you can aerate and seed. Be sure to treat the lawn every 8 weeks at least. Also determine what type of grass you have and want. Good Luck

SOONER GREEN

LawnSite Member
First do a soil sample. That might be the problem. Then if ph is correct or adjusted I'd hit it with a 3-way broadleaf herbicide mixed with a pre-emergent, if the bermuda is dormant i'd add glyphosate. Do repeat applications every 6 weeks through the season with the labeled rates of fert and post emergents. Set the customers expectation, it probably going to take at least 10 apps to get much of a turf. They may decide on sod after they hear that, but it's the truth.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
no reason you cant fert and squirt the whole year and jsut renovate in the fall, this is way cheaper than sod, and can get the same results if you know what you are doing and they do their part and water. i do it all the time

BS1190

LawnSite Member
I would dethatch, overseed and fertilize now. Do regular fert and hebicide applications and then areate, ovseed and then top dress with compost this fall.