Lawn Care Forum banner

need help with yellow nutsedge

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  prizeprop 
SedgeHammer has worked very well for me... it takes two weeks, but the kill is excellent. But.... I am on cool season grasses and zoysia.... know nothing about Bermuda.

I've used it all. Sedgehammer is good--use a good sticker and remember that it has a shelf life of about 4-6 hours depending on the PH of your water. Dismiss is best of all but really expensive. I've treated all of my lawns and they are Kyliinga free, and Sedge free. The overwaterinig and shallow watering will promote the sedges even more. Another good treatement is a Simazine and Image mix, or a Simazine and Basagran mix. On other turf Vantage/Basagran will work extremly well, but Vantage can not be used on Bermuda.
Read up on the label of the Image/Simazine combo or use the Sedgehammer and sticker.
Roy
I don't see this shelf life limitation on the label anywhere.... where did you get that info? I had some leftover in my backpack, and added another gallon mix for one more spot spraying job. I did not notice any deduction in kill power. My water pH is 6.2. Thanks...

In your location, do not use the simazine/Image mix on anything but zoysia. This is one of the best things to destroy cool season grasses. All sulfonlyurea herbicides(Certainty, Manor, Revolver, Sedgehammer) are deactivated by acidity. They are most stable at 7-8. If you look at the DuPont ag and IVM website, there are technical bulletins on this subject. I do not like the idea of keeping a mix for more than one lawn. It makes calibration and target of application a pain. I often tank mix postemergent herbicides, depending on what weeds are present in a particular lawn. However, I consider it a misuse and waste to broadcast a herbicide just because it is in the tank. I am probably similar to you, in that if I cannot justify a broadcast application, I will reach down and pull a few weeds. I do not spot apply herbicides.
I had about a gallon of a sedgehammer mix left in my backpack for about a week.... and then had two pretty infested lawns to treat. There were large patches of nutsedge, ranging from 100 sq ft to 500 sq ft sections. I added another gallon to the backback and treated. That was a week ago, so it's too early to tell if I screwed up and might have to reapply. I guess I'll know by next weekend....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.