Need ideas for lawn care schedule.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Sorry I was not specific. I guess I deleted my text by mistake sorry about that. :rolleyes:.. I have 7 clients in one neighborhood that are 4 minutes away from where I stay, the clients are all fairly close to each other, it's a very easy route. I can literally ride my ztr to each house. There's another neighborhood with 2 clients that's 10 minutes away from the 7 clients. The real problem is my clients that are 35 and 40 minutes away from the closest neighborhood, both clients are the exact opposite from each other.
I'm in debate wether I should do my 7 and 2 clients close to me on the same day and do all the far people the next cutting day or.. just Break the ones close to me up and do half on each day. This is what I wrote on the post but something happened to it i guess i don't know.
You should do all the ones close together in the same day. If you are traveling 40 minutes to mow I hope you are getting well compensated for it, if not, it's not worth it unless you can quickly pick up more jobs in the area.

Caledwen

LawnSite Member
When I first started mowing. I was all eager to take any job that was willing to hire me (newbie mistake). It resulted in me bouncing all over the place. It's ok to say no as well and keep yourself more contained to specific areas. I feel so much better mowing now since I dont have to worry about figuring out how to mow those outliers.

OakNut

LawnSite Platinum Member
Also, how many MILES away are the "40 minute drive" cuts?
In the city it can take you 7 minutes to go 8 miles, or it could take you an hour to go the same 8 miles - just depends on time of day.

I would also agree that if you can, drop the ones that are so far away - unless your "plan" is to expand into that area.

My Monday route is messed up like that - I swore I was going to drop the two furthest cuts, but I still have them. "Forty Mile Monday" is what I call it - way too many miles when I consider that my average on other days is 15-20 miles total per day.
My HOPE was that I'd pick up other clients "way out there" to make the drive worthwhile, but that didn't happen, so I spend a lot of time driving, and burn a lot of gas doing it. Not ideal.

Not really sure what to tell you. You know the area and distances - group them together and get them done.
If I had to do it all over again, I'd have kept my area a lot smaller. Now that my schedule is established and nearly full, when people call, I won't even consider adding them unless they are RIGHT where I'm already at - if they are two or three miles away from my route, it's not worth it.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
35 to 40 minutes drive?
Unless its your getting paid drive time,
Meaning that time is added into price you need to drop them. Period.
And 35-40 minutes back.

OP
Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
35 to 40 minutes drive?
Unless its your getting paid drive time,
Meaning that time is added into price you need to drop them. Period.
And 35-40 minutes back.
It took us 20 minutes to get to one of my far clients this time. This time I started with the far one first then make my route back to closest neighborhood. It actually worked very well today. I only did one of my far clients today i have the other client scheduled for next week. Around 4:40pm traffic was somewhat responsible, I was still able to knock everyone out. I was supposed to do everyone tomorrow but it is going to be raining most of the weekend here. It seemed like everyone with a lawn care business was out doing work. I saw atleast 50 trucks and trailers.

OP
Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
You should do all the ones close together in the same day. If you are traveling 40 minutes to mow I hope you are getting well compensated for it, if not, it's not worth it unless you can quickly pick up more jobs in the area.
I do plan on expanding out there. The only thing about dropping that client is.. he's a very good client, he always keeps the schedule.

OakNut

LawnSite Platinum Member
I do plan on expanding out there. The only thing about dropping that client is.. he's a very good client, he always keeps the schedule.
What does that mean?
If you mean that he doesn't tell you "No need to cut it this week", then you need to cut the ones who DO tell you that.

I guarantee that NONE of them would ever work for a company that said "Hey, no need for you to come to work today - you can just do two days worth of work when you come in tomorrow!" (and not get paid for today)