1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need info on type of wood for open trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey everyone, my trailer needs a new floor and Im not sure what type or size is best. I have heard that the treated lumber isnt very good, etc. I never have re-floored a trailer, so any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just go to Home depot and get the treated wood....place one end of the lumber in the front channel and take a jack and jack it up in the middle from underneath while having another person stand o the end that needs to be inserted. The wood will bend a lot and shorten to get it to drop in the channels. It is a little tricky but you will get the idea quick.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Different brands of trailers have different type of floor mounting requirements.

4. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a normal landscape trailer, what Hess said. got a pic??

5. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

depending on what your putting on it go with a jack pine or white oak for decking. It won't warp. The best is redwood if you can afford it.

6. Picky1

Picky1 LawnSite Member

Apitong is nearly indestructable, if you can get some. Tractor-trailer flat-bed manufacturers use it.

7. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Treated 2X6 or whatever size(width)is a very safe and good choice. If you have a light trailer going with decking board will do.Also go and get some good torque head floor screws, you might have to go to semi-trailer type store for these good luck it's easy no worries!

8. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

we use 2x6 or 2x8 for my heavier trailers, for just mulch or mowers i would go with 5/4 decking boards they work just fine and save weight so you can carry a little more with out over loading the trailer and its cheaper