• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Need info on type of wood for open trailer

Sydenstricker Landscaping

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hey everyone, my trailer needs a new floor and Im not sure what type or size is best. I have heard that the treated lumber isnt very good, etc. I never have re-floored a trailer, so any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
Just go to Home depot and get the treated wood....place one end of the lumber in the front channel and take a jack and jack it up in the middle from underneath while having another person stand o the end that needs to be inserted. The wood will bend a lot and shorten to get it to drop in the channels. It is a little tricky but you will get the idea quick.

gene gls

LawnSite Gold Member
Just go to Home depot and get the treated wood....place one end of the lumber in the front channel and take a jack and jack it up in the middle from underneath while having another person stand o the end that needs to be inserted. The wood will bend a lot and shorten to get it to drop in the channels. It is a little tricky but you will get the idea quick.
Different brands of trailers have different type of floor mounting requirements.

fivestarlawnken

LawnSite Senior Member
Treated 2X6 or whatever size(width)is a very safe and good choice. If you have a light trailer going with decking board will do.Also go and get some good torque head floor screws, you might have to go to semi-trailer type store for these good luck it's easy no worries!

gammon landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
we use 2x6 or 2x8 for my heavier trailers, for just mulch or mowers i would go with 5/4 decking boards they work just fine and save weight so you can carry a little more with out over loading the trailer and its cheaper