Need New Mower Opinions. 915E, Radius, Lazer...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by johndeere506, Apr 16, 2018.

1. johndeere506

johndeere506 LawnSite Member

I used to cut 20-30 accounts years ago, now just my own 1.5-2 acre lawn. Im still using my 1996 Exmark Lazer Z 60 inch. Owned it for 14 years. Its time to replace it. I will only be cutting my own lawn with a new mower.

Im not sure if everything new will be better since this mower is a dinosaur, but it is built pretty solid. 1600 hrs and going strong.

Im looking at the john deere 915, or the exmark radius. Best price i got on a new 915E is 7800 plus tax.
    The radius looks a bit cheaper.

The jump to a sale Lazer E series or Tiger Cat is pretty big. Lazer Z 60 e series for $9500 was the best i found. Not sure on the cat but trying to spend less.

Are these decent mowers? I want it to feel decent since Im used to a Lazer at least, granted its 20+ years old.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

That Deere 915 will be right up your alley. Full on commercial.
    Tiger Cats are nice too, but overpriced for a small frame machine like that.

13Razorbackfan and Ridin' Green like this.
  3. Scottdubya83

Scottdubya83 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central, LA

I bought a JD915E last May. I absolutely love it. Bought to replace an 01 Turf tiger. I paid $7100 (cash) plus tax. The only other commercial mowers I could find in that price range ( under $8k) were a snapper pro, a Ferris f160 ( model w/o suspension), and Spartan (Was very tempted, but since they are so new,I decided I wanted a proven brand) Every other brand was atleast 1-2k more for a mower with comparable specs / components. (Atleast in my area) I looked at Scag ( TC was 2k more and prices went up from there for Cheetah, TT, etc.) Toro, exmark, gravely, husqvarna, hustler. I really had a hard time deciding between the ones in my price range, but JD dealer came down on price and the others wouldn't. And the loaner program was really what helped me decide to get the 915. I could not b happier with my decision. I have no complaints. Even though I love my old TT, the JD is a really nice upgrade for me. I highly recommend it.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  4. johndeere506

How do you guys like the stripe quality of the 915? I was talking to a friend at work and he has the 920, and doesn't think it cuts all that great. He is a novice at cutting though, and doesn't have a very nice lawn with too many trees and shade, so maybe its him.
    My lawn is pretty nice, and Ive been cutting for 25 years on ZTRs since my old dixie back in the 90s. Im hoping I can make it stripe good.

5. whammer33024

whammer33024 LawnSite Senior Member

meh, it does okay at striping

IMG_20171005_113356.jpg

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Michigan grass cut with a 950A and 60" deck-

100_2359.jpg

100_4509.jpg

River and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  7. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

I have both a 920 and a 915 and both stripe very well and love them both but love love my 915e 48". If i had to do it all over again would have bought a 915e first then a 960m.

Any good commercial mower should last a lifetime mowing a couple acres a week 8 months out of year and being a homeowner you can choose what time to mow meaning you can wait till grass is dry. I would go with whatever dealer you feel most comfortable with however keep in mind loaner mower if yours goes down. Deere has the Neverstop loaner program while under warranty they give you a demo mower if yours goes down but you may have a dealer that offers another brand who can make that same promise.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  8. johndeere506

Thanks for the pictures guys. I'm thinking the 915E will be great. It will match my 3320 in the barn now too...

Im not sure Im getting a great price though locally. I got them down some, but still higher than some deals Ive heard of. What are you guys getting for prices on these? Im at 7450 before tax.

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Are you getting that price from that place on Baldwin road?

10. johndeere506

No not sure what place that is. Is it somewhere I should look in to, or stay away from?