need new (reliable!) software!

peeklandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Looking for new software. Tired of creating invoices and estimates in office, turning them into PDFs, sending them manually to email, bla bla bla. Tried Yardbook.com, but I seriously HATE the ads!! Don't need 1001 promotions, downloads, and sh$t flashing in my face every time I need to gat an estimate prepped. Also, don't like these monthly pay systems... seems like a ton of money after a while- but I'm still open for suggestions. Would ideally want a one-time payment, all-in-one package. Please give me some info here. Thanks!

tonygreek

LawnSite Platinum Member
Looking for new software. Tired of creating invoices and estimates in office, turning them into PDFs, sending them manually to email, bla bla bla. Tried Yardbook.com, but I seriously HATE the ads!! Don't need 1001 promotions, downloads, and sh$t flashing in my face every time I need to gat an estimate prepped. Also, don't like these monthly pay systems... seems like a ton of money after a while- but I'm still open for suggestions. Would ideally want a one-time payment, all-in-one package. Please give me some info here. Thanks!
(this probably should have been added to your other open thread on this subject)

1. If you want free, you'll be subjected to ads. Nature of the beast.

2. The monthly pay model isn't going anywhere. You get run-on-any-device, constantly improving/evolving software, support, and you don't have to worry about your software becoming obsolete.

I would pick the software that works best for you and your business. A nominal fee should be worth it to the future of your business.

Back in the saddle and missed my cue already! Alrighty. ^^ I will disagree with Tony as we have built a free system with no ads. We are a very different beast :). Yes, everyone is hesitant because they keep asking how we make money. Let us worry about that lol. But if you must know you can email me and I will tell you how. We are the baby shark in the business and are slowly growing up. Yes we are free, yes there are no ads. Yes we code our apps natively so there are no web pages loading on your phone. We have all the capability you had just mentioned and a bit more. We are built for the field. I run it through my 3 trucks and love it.

If anything we are worth a look. I would love to know your feedback.

tonygreek

LawnSite Platinum Member
I will disagree with Tony as we have built a free system with no ads. We are a very different beast :).
You're absolutely right. I should have worded that differently, and not put it in a box of "free software is paid for by ads". There are a variety of ways you can pay for a free service without being subjected to ads.

Last edited:
OP
peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
for those that mentioned it, I actually forgot I had another open thread on the subject... oops! Tonygeek, I see your point now with monthly pay software. Especially the obsolete part- that makes sense

tonygreek

LawnSite Platinum Member
for those that mentioned it, I actually forgot I had another open thread on the subject... oops! Tonygeek, I see your point now with monthly pay software. Especially the obsolete part- that makes sense
Another benefit to this "software as a service" model (If you've seen the acronym SaaS, this is it.) is that it's increasing the number of players in the game and the options for you to choose from. And, yes, this lower barrier to entry isn't always the best thing. lol If we were still in the days of traditional desktop software, where you buy a CD and then buy/receive updates on more CDs, we likely wouldn't be seeing the...hang on a sec...7(!) lawn and landscape software-related advertisers that are currently on Lawnsite.

The cloud model has made everyone's lives for the better and, maybe most importantly, for the developers, themselves. Find a bug? Make one file change and push the update to the server. If all goes well, it was transparent to you, the end user. Same goes for feature set additions and improvements. It's definitely been a game changer, effectively eliminating the old school 1 or 2 year "major update!" cycles. It's now pretty much continuous.

Kawizx62003

LawnSite Silver Member
I am using yardbook and don't even notice the ads. They don't pop up. I think they are just on the side somewhere. It's nice for the price while I'm getting started. They are receptive to feedback. I may check locust.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
maybe the ads can be controlled by a setting on my browser?

Top Forums