Need non-spreading ground covers for prop. border beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Delmarva Keith, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Typical design around here is a mulched bed about 3’ to 5’ wide planted with some type of evergreen screening trees on one side or the other of a property line. Or similarly a fence on the line with a mulched bed along it.

To my eye it looks like something went wrong with a big brown mulched slash. I also hate mulch generally and have come to believe that maintaining large mulched areas is for crazy people. Around the base of flowers, great. As the majority of area in beds with many cubic yards of mulch on a regular basis, crazy.

Need recommendations for zone 7b evergreen non-spreading or slow spreading (can’t invade the adjoining property) ground covers. Pachysandra is about all I can think of. Maybe a non-spreading or slow spreading variety of lirope.

Doesn’t need to be zero maintenance but it can’t be an invader like ivy or anything that has to be constantly pruned or divided. Once a year or so to keep things reasonably tidy is fine.

Can you folks help bring me up to speed on options? Thanks!

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree--large areas of bark are costly to maintain. Weeds; redo bark; faded to gray color. Think about ajuga--it is practically the only ground cover that can be grown from seed. It might fit your customer's situation. It can invade the lawn from time to time--but is easily killed with routine broadleaf weed control on the grass.
    https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/ground-cover-seed/ajuga-groundcover-seed.html

You can use tall ornamental grasses as a screen along the property edge if it fits the screening requirement.

Delmarva Keith and hort101 like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

We planted a hybrid ajuga some years ago. It has struggled in sun but does well in shade.

Delmarva Keith and hort101 like this.
  4. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

Pachysandra or Dwf Mondo would be my first choice. Both do well in sun once established

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Variegated liriope. Clumps well, doesn't spread fast at all. Good for borders or focus piece if you clump a few together. Does well in sun and shade.

6. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Junipers, creeping

7. OP
    OP
    Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

All good ideas. Keep them coming!

8. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

9. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

These guys could use a little trim, it's been about a year.
    20190925_180919.jpg
    20190925_182421.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  10. Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Senior Member